Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Interesting trip to the range

Interesting trip to the range

Headed to the range today to have a play with the new old Norinco JW-15a and get my eldest daughter to have a go with the 223. Also had Cambo along to have a play with his new toy.

Well the Norinco didn't work at all well. After putting on a good scope on top of it, bore sighting and grabbing a selection of ammo to try I couldn't get it to feed properly. The main problem being the same one someone else had issues with a few weeks ago on here ... no room for the bolt handle; and some dim wit who hadn't checked even after reading thread on it.

Never mind: time to get the girl on the 223. I thought this would be interesting as even though she hasn't used my toys very much she has certainly shot very well with my 22lr when she has. Up till now she has only had one shot at 100m and that one ended up with a very unwell rabbit with a bit of lead in the boiler room. So this was her first shot with a centre fire. Well the first shot was right where it should have been. Mutter, mutter, I shouldn't let her play with my toys as she always seems to show me up. Next shot, yes about 20mm away from the first. Mutter, mutter. Then the groups started to open up a bit. I'm sort of feeling happier now, sort of, I think.

I had a little chat to her about it tonight and the upshot is that she didn't like the way the suppressed 223 with a really soft butt pad pushed her back and she was closing her eyes when she pulled the trigger. Think it's time for some of those harden up pills and a name change to Woosie.

Mind you it was better than my awful attempts with Cambo's new 270wsm. After he sighted it in I had a couple of shots. I kept my peepers open but still couldn't figure out where the holes appeared, and there was no shortage of paper up the sharp end to put said holes. But that is one nice slick toy.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    GM give the daughter a cup of wet concrete. That will harden her up.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I recon there Rushy. I don't think I could find a softer shooting centrefire. To say that she is of slight build is a bit of an understatement, gets that from me; I turn sideways and I disappear. I wonder how poor Cambo's ears are coz she sure talks a lot, ... NOT.

The way she started she sure has the potential that I don't.

Had a bit of a discussion and have come up with a plan. I'll take a mirror and sharp stick to the range next trip. Set the mirror up in the front of the shooting bay so I can see the eyes. If said eyes close upon pressure of digit to trigger sharp stick will be poked into back of shooters neck. Just to get the message through that it hurts more to shoot with eyes closed than eyes open. What do you think? Does it sound like a goer?

just get her to spend some time behind the trigger with it eventually she will get used to the rifle, like my uncle said to me when I complianed about the kick of a 243 when I first started shooting center fire he said buy shitloads of ammo and keep shooting it till you get used to it. Hell I wimped out with my first .270 but I still got behind the trigger of two other .270's and started to like shooting that caliber.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Get her to shoot it off hand, lots. Recoil is barely noticeable standing(from the shoulders point of view) cos the rifle can just push you out of the way(especially if your a lightweight) then sitting then prone. Prone is the worst for felt recoil as your body cant move with the rifle at all.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

But my idea sounds a lot more fun for me. Actually VC I think she'd have difficulty holding it. She struggles enough with my wee 22lr bolt action and has to shoot that off the bipod. I did say she was a tad slight.

Though after this, her one and only shot on something live (and at 100m to boot), she did declare it as HER rifle. I have almost convinced her to get a firearms license too.

Toby likes this.

Thats a short barrel on that thing but it looks sweet.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Thats a short barrel on that thing but it looks sweet.
    15" is enough. It had really good accuracy before the chop and I think it got even better after the chop.

Well dads just going to have to shell out for a heap of ammo till she gets used to it then
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Id say the sharp stick idea will cause her to anticipate the pain and her shooting to go out the window.
    teaching and time will sort it. also I notice if its a hard trigger or a long take up I tend to allmost close my eyes too
    so mabe the trigger could be lighter.

If she is a better shot than you its an evolutionary step forward. dont be jealous be proud. it also means you are a better teacher than a student

allways cool to see fathers teaching their kids these skills, I really loved learning of my old man. and I cant wait for my nephew to get old enough to hold a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well dads just going to have to shell out for a heap of ammo till she gets used to it then
    I know that is the solution, but I think my wind up will be good till the next range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Id say the sharp stick idea will cause her to anticipate the pain and her shooting to go out the window.
    teaching and time will sort it. also I notice if its a hard trigger or a long take up I tend to allmost close my eyes too
    so mabe the trigger could be lighter.

If she is a better shot than you its an evolutionary step forward. dont be jealous be proud. it also means you are a better teacher than a student

allways cool to see fathers teaching their kids these skills, I really loved learning of my old man. and I cant wait for my nephew to get old enough to hold a rifle.
    The trigger is almost scary light with next to no creep, I actually had Robbie add a bit onto it before putting a shot through it and got it suppressed at the same time.

Never had anyone to teach me, so I'm a self taught late starter. Do enjoy taking them to the range with a friend and love ticking them off for out shooting me; can't beat that smile.