Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 2 Post By Maxx
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By sneeze
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Internal adjustment

Internal adjustment

How much useable MOA elevation adjustment would a 50" total adjustment 'scope give me? I need a minimum of 15 usable MOA.

Thanks

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How much useable MOA elevation adjustment would a 50" total adjustment 'scope give me? I need a minimum of 15 usable MOA.

Thanks
    Depends if it is mounted correctly (scope reticle is central to tube) or if you use a 20 moa rail for instance.

But unless it is mounted all cocked up due to bases and rings, you should have more than enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Thanks
    Do you really wanna walk that far?
    Tahr and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Depends if it is mounted correctly (scope reticle is central to tube) or if you use a 20 moa rail for instance.

But unless it is mounted all cocked up due to bases and rings, you should have more than enough.

@R93 Standard weaver bases. Am looking at this: https://www.tractoptics.com/products...3-15x42-t-plex

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Do you really wanna walk that far?

Well, you have to one way or another.

R93
    @R93 Standard weaver bases. Am looking at this: https://www.tractoptics.com/products...3-15x42-t-plex
    Looks OK?

Most zero stops limit your elevation roughly between 15-18 moa. With out them you can dial to the extent of the scope.

I only get around 15 moa on my one but that gets me to over 700 yards with a 200 zero in unfavorable atmospherics.

Tahr likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

May I suggest you have gander at these: https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-mona...xr-turret.html

I got one in recently. Very happy with it in terms of optics, repeatably and $$ - and i got it in past the GST radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundook View Post
    May I suggest you have gander at these: https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-mona...xr-turret.html

I got one in recently. Very happy with it in terms of optics, repeatably and $$ - and i got it in past the GST radar.
    The reason I'm interested in Tract is because their optics are rated as being as good as the best Euros without having to pay a fortune. Weaver are good value but not in the class I'm looking for.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...omparable-to-a

ebf

Thanks
    Bruce, the specs on that scope says 50 MOA, not 50" (inches).

If you use Burris SIgnature Zee rings or a canted rail, you should be fine.
    Tahr and R93 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Bruce, the specs on that scope says 50 MOA, not 50" (inches).

If you use Burris SIgnature Zee rings or a canted rail, you should be fine.
    Thanks @ebf. What do you think about me just using neither (standard set up). What might I get? Is it reasonable to think half of the elevation (25MOA)? Albeit that I only need up to 15MOA. Sort of along the lines of what R93 was thinking.

ebf
    really no way of telling. i've had actions where i've lost as much as 35 MOA elevation...

the action diameter could be different at the front and rear base, the thickness of the bases could vary, they rings could vary... just too many variables.

all mine are now set up so that the scopes are physically zeroed. a side benefit is that windage adjustment at the bottom is less than in the middle, so I gain more windage adjustment toward the middle of the dialing range, which is where I need it, unless I am shooting at silly distance gongs :-)
    Tahr likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

If the rifle its going on has an existing scope on it that's zeroed you can work it out or if not, swap a scope on to it and zero then work it out.
    They look like a reasonable scope. Made in japan so most likely another LOW product.
    Tahr likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I just changed scopes on a 223. After sighting it in I wound the turrets to the stops and back to see what I had, the manual says 90 moa so 45 is the middle, I got 48 up which is pretty close but windage was 30 left and 60 right, which was a bit of a suprise.!
    Tahr and ebf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I just changed scopes on a 223. After sighting it in I wound the turrets to the stops and back to see what I had, the manual says 90 moa so 45 is the middle, I got 48 up which is pretty close but windage was 30 left and 60 right, which was a bit of a suprise.!
    Not many rifles have the screw holes for the bases spot on, early Leupold scopes were lacking in windage adjustment one reason they have adjustable bases,
    The Burris Signature rings are the best system for correcting adjustment problems, I had my F class rifle set up with a 20MOA rail and Burris rings had a plus 5
    bushing to centre the reticle in the front ring, with a plus 20 in the rear ring I couldn't get the rifle zeroed at 100 metres worked fine at 1000 yards had all the windage
    I could use with heaps to spare.