Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: IR illuminators

TLB

IR illuminators

Seeing as there are a few threads popping up on night vision I thought I might just throw this out there as there is bound to be a few people using after market ir illuminators.

I have both Sytong and Pard products. What is out there that will extend the usable range of these products, where are they available and what sort of price range are they?
    Cheers!

https://www.torchmonster.co.nz/nitec...ared-led-torch

as an option, double duty as a regular torch as well.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    https://www.torchmonster.co.nz/nitec...ared-led-torch

as an option, double duty as a regular torch as well.
    Yeah saw them. Was a bit unsure if the 940nm wavelength would be much better than the stock IR lights on the units?

Yes they are if you get a bigger torch T45,T50,T67mm diameter lens in 940nm.Give you 300,400 plus yards.Very hard to find in NZ,If so they be $250+.Watch trade me for 3 months,something might pop up.Double,tripple the throw of the standard little IR that comes with the unit.

You need to study abit before you throw away that sort of cash
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

You need to study abit before you throw away that sort of cash
    I have one lazer but the 850nm on the pard works in the 200 and the 007S adds more and have said can see 300. So haven't used it much.
    It also has a 940nm pill as well.
    If I need bright then it will do it, my pommy mate spots rabbit eyes at 600.
    I gave one to another mate and he reported 400+the other night.
    But I keep it simple if possible, haven't found much occasion where I need the IR like that.
    KH

Yes keep all night shooting under 250yds.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Yes keep all night shooting under 250yds.
    The problem I have is I am currently helping on an eradication job for rabbits. The furthest I can shoot is not as far as I would like. Nothing can get away effectively so I need something brighter than what is on the pard and Sytong. Not only would it give more range but also aid background identification and target identification.
    And keeping it under 250 yards at night is personal preference. With the maxtoch torch we are regularly shooting deer out over 400 yards. I don't necessarily want to shoot that far with the night vision but 300 with a crisp picture and some visibility in the background would be ideal.

Have a look at owl optics website

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    The problem I have is I am currently helping on an eradication job for rabbits. The furthest I can shoot is not as far as I would like. Nothing can get away effectively so I need something brighter than what is on the pard and Sytong. Not only would it give more range but also aid background identification and target identification.
    And keeping it under 250 yards at night is personal preference. With the maxtoch torch we are regularly shooting deer out over 400 yards. I don't necessarily want to shoot that far with the night vision but 300 with a crisp picture and some visibility in the background would be ideal.
    TLB
    What calibre are you shooting rabbits with?
    THE 007S spec is 250m. I have a early 007 with a 12mm lense on a 3-18x50 and I can see rabbits at 300y
    I honestly have to wonder why you need the Ruby ground sports lights on for rabbits.
    I am not a subscriber to shooting deer 400+ at night. Given the areas I know.
    KH
    I am not even sure I should be answering this post. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    Trout likes this.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Have a look at the Nitecore CI7 $210 to forum members

The beauty of the CI7 is that you have the power, all 7watts of it, but you can dial down extending the battery life substantially and it also functions as a std white light torch emitting 2500 lumens from 4 LEDs.
    Its standard 1 inch body so fits all the torch mounts etc

Its an absolute beast!
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

I found that LED based IR illuminators rarely do much better than the inbuilt Pard illuminator.
    Laser based illuminators on the other hand are amazing. I got a laser 850nm illuminator from China that was great while it lasted. But it did not last long due to lacking any quality control in the manufacturing of the unit. (It got sent back for a full refund thankfully)
    There are some interesting laser illuminators coming out of the UK. Both 850nm and 940nm. Only issue is availability, as they tend to get snapped up in their local market quite quickly.

I use a handheld thermal along with the NV scope, so can see km's in each direction with the thermal, checking for livestock, houses etc. Then use the Pard on the rifle to take the shot. Can clearly see the rabbits out past 400M with the thermal, and eye strike at 250-300m with the Pard inbuilt illuminator.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    TLB
    What calibre are you shooting rabbits with?
    THE 007S spec is 250m. I have a early 007 with a 12mm lense on a 3-18x50 and I can see rabbits at 300y
    I honestly have to wonder why you need the Ruby ground sports lights on for rabbits.
    I am not a subscriber to shooting deer 400+ at night. Given the areas I know.
    KH
    I am not even sure I should be answering this post. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    Depends, usually I am using a 17hmr so the stock lights are not an issue but for this eradication job I'm shooting with a .223 and it is crutial not to leave any behind as the numbers are down to nearly being eradicated. Would use thermal but target identification is paramount as we are in an area with lots of native birds such as these

Name:  IMG_20210909_074118.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  141.3 KB

I don't have a 007s and with the Pard 008 and Sytong 120 yards seems to be as far as I can make a rabbit out 100% beyond all doubt and still see some background.
    Not only would it be useful for this rabbit job but in some areas where farmers want deer shot but only hinds for example then having to identify the sex of the deer can be quite difficult when you are further than 100 yards away.
    I have been a professional pest controller for over 15 years so had a fair whack of time being out at night.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I found that LED based IR illuminators rarely do much better than the inbuilt Pard illuminator.
    Laser based illuminators on the other hand are amazing. I got a laser 850nm illuminator from China that was great while it lasted. But it did not last long due to lacking any quality control in the manufacturing of the unit. (It got sent back for a full refund thankfully)
    There are some interesting laser illuminators coming out of the UK. Both 850nm and 940nm. Only issue is availability, as they tend to get snapped up in their local market quite quickly.

I use a handheld thermal along with the NV scope, so can see km's in each direction with the thermal, checking for livestock, houses etc. Then use the Pard on the rifle to take the shot. Can clearly see the rabbits out past 400M with the thermal, and eye strike at 250-300m with the Pard inbuilt illuminator.
    You are correct quentin. The Pard requires a lazer not a led IR external torch as you have found out.
    KH
    quentin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Depends, usually I am using a 17hmr so the stock lights are not an issue but for this eradication job I'm shooting with a .223 and it is crutial not to leave any behind as the numbers are down to nearly being eradicated. Would use thermal but target identification is paramount as we are in an area with lots of native birds such as these

Attachment 178101

I don't have a 007s and with the Pard 008 and Sytong 120 yards seems to be as far as I can make a rabbit out 100% beyond all doubt and still see some background.
    Not only would it be useful for this rabbit job but in some areas where farmers want deer shot but only hinds for example then having to identify the sex of the deer can be quite difficult when you are further than 100 yards away.
    I have been a professional pest controller for over 15 years so had a fair whack of time being out at night.
    I am wondering if there's a diffuser in your Pard as the distance should be @ least 200? I think the sytong will be limited compared to the Pard.
    I know that the UK night vision forum has answers to a lot of questions as regarding NV & thermals, the main technical man is Phoenix.
    This is his answer to the question.
    Removing the filter will give the IR more range, but you will get a darker area at the centre of the illuminated (the so called "black hole")
    It's quite possible that his 007a has a diffuser fitted - and it will reduce the potential range.
    The diffuser is easily removed, but do this with the battery removed
    1. Unscrew the lock ring that holds the IR lens in place and the lens should then drop out
    2. A black disc with a hole in it should now be visible. Unscrew the black disc and the diffuser will fall out or can be lifted off
    3. The diffuser is small - it's a piece of frosted plastic about 2x2mm square - so easily lost
    Refit the black disc, then the lens and finally the lock ring
    The IR should now be significantly stronger.
    KH
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 09-09-2021 at 09:58 AM.