Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

ITAR questions...

I was wanting to get ahold of a remington PTG bolt first I contacted gunworks as they used to sell them but I was told they no longer deal with PTG due to hold-ups and hassles. I did a quick search on here to try and get an idea of what is involved with ITAR and importing and how I might be able to get an order organised but having read a few posts I was still not 100% on what is involved can anyone who has ordered a bolt or something similar from the likes of PTG recently advise?

Another option is a friend visiting relatives in the states could bring one back but I would hate to get him in the poop. Would this be a better option and would there be any paperwork involved to avoid hassles at the borders?

Cheers in advance

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    Another option is a friend visiting relatives in the states could bring one back but I would hate to get him in the poop. Would this be a better option and would there be any paperwork involved to avoid hassles at the borders?
    This sound sweet as, but what people need to understand is that ITAR holds responsible all people who caused the export to happen. So if your friend gets caught, and says your name, you're now getting done as well.
    People in New Zealand have got letters from the state department threatening a civil suit, and it costs a fair amount of money and a creative excuse to get them off your back. Don't be one of these people.

Best to contact PTG, they will tell you what is required and how much the export license fee is.

I got a bolt and a few other bits off them a couple of years back with no issues. You will need a NZ Import permit and a bit of paitence.

Basically you place the order, fill in some forms, post them back (they might accept email copies now like brownells do) with your import permit, pay for the order (and export license fee). That's it really until its shipped.

and if it's a std US Export Licence, it's likely to set you back at least US$200

PTG only charge $100 USD for an export permit.

It's a very painless process.

You don't need an NZ Police import permit for the item you want. Just send them a letter with your application stating that the NZ Arms Act does not require an import permit for parts of a bolt action rifle, except the action. You can reference the NZ Police statement located here:
    http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...f-firearms.pdf

All the information for exporting from PTG is here:
    http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/conte...t-restrictions