Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: J B Bore cleaning compound

  1. #1
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,759

    J B Bore cleaning compound

    I have a rifle here that just wont clean up. I suspect more than a little corrosion has gotten in and after a couple of days worth of Scrubbing with KG 2 and Boretech it still wont get any cleaner. Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting some of this JB stuff and giving that a go. Anyone used it with success?

  2. #2
    Member kimjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,633
    Yip, works well. Or go straight to autosol as its more abrasive again.

    kj

  3. #3
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Yip, works well. Or go straight to autosol as its more abrasive again.

    kj
    +1

    Autosol worked bloody well on a rifle of mine that was fouled and started shooting like shit, (and normal cleaning wouldn't get it) a couple of patches with autosol on scrubbed back and forth, and shes shooting mint as again ;-)

  4. #4
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,759
    Thanks guys. Its not my rifle so I kinda just want to take it one step at a time... So a patch is what you use or a tight fitting mop?

  5. #5
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    3,164
    I used a reasonably tight 4x2 patch with a smear of autosol on both sides, and scrubbed back and forth on the chamber end first, then back and forth in middle section then same again on the front section to muzzle. Then cleaned out the bore using solvent and patches as per normal.

  6. #6
    Member hillclima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmy
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I have a rifle here that just wont clean up. I suspect more than a little corrosion has gotten in and after a couple of days worth of Scrubbing with KG 2 and Boretech it still wont get any cleaner. Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting some of this JB stuff and giving that a go. Anyone used it with success?
    I have some here if you want to try it, I can send some down or you can grab when you up of you want

  7. #7
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    I have some here if you want to try it, I can send some down or you can grab when you up of you want
    Oh that would be great! You mind sending it down? I only want to do one rifle...

  8. #8
    Member kimjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,633
    Most recommend that you put it on a tight patch, then put rifle with the muzzle on the ground, or muzzle hard against a wall and then go to work passing back and forwards, but not exiting the muzzle.

    The benchrest guys and F-class shooters with bore scopes will tell you its the only thing that will actually clean all the carbon out properly. I'll have to take their word for it as I don't have a bore scope. I only do this about every 100+ rounds or so.

    kj

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tuatapere
    Posts
    376
    I use a cleaning rod with handle chopped off which I put in my drill with a bit of JB..works a treat

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    I use a cleaning rod with handle chopped off which I put in my drill with a bit of JB..works a treat
    Could you explain exactly how that is good for your barrel.
    I suspect you have been watching too much TV (Big Adam from Hunting and Fishing, on Hunting Aotearoa).

  11. #11
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    I use a cleaning rod with handle chopped off which I put in my drill with a bit of JB..works a treat
    You might want to stop doing that !!!!

    By hand you can allow the tight fitting patch to follow the rifling twist the length of the barrel, say only one turn in ten inches of barrel length, then reverse the rod without it ever exiting the muzzle end. (The muzzle end of a barrel often has two tenths of a thou constriction to give best accuracy, vigorous 'cleaning' there may remove it.) This allows whatever compound you are using to clean all the detailed surfaces of your bore/rifling.

    Higher rpm in a drill will just wear the top of the lands down without cleaning up the deeper groove areas, which often hold the most copper.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  12. #12
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    15,284
    You will end up with a .410 in no time doing that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    BRADS likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    17,594
    I bought a cleaner the other day that you put a rod down the barrel spaced on orings and pas a current thru using a cleaning liquid. Havent played with it yet but told it removes lead and copper.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tuatapere
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Could you explain exactly how that is good for your barrel.
    I suspect you have been watching too much TV (Big Adam from Hunting and Fishing, on Hunting Aotearoa).
    how do you think they are done at the factory? I don't watch much TV 'cos I'm out shooting 12mm groups and not sitting in an armchair professing to know all and sundry about firearms. Low speed on the drill works and only takes about 4-5 turns, most people would put a dozen patches thru their firearm for the same results.

  15. #15
    Member marky123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nz
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    how do you think they are done at the factory? I don't watch much TV 'cos I'm out shooting 12mm groups and not sitting in an armchair professing to know all and sundry about firearms. Low speed on the drill works and only takes about 4-5 turns, most people would put a dozen patches thru their firearm for the same results.
    Yep,I sure would.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Is it 'Cold Bore' or 'Foul Bore' ?
    By redbang in forum Shooting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
  2. bore cleaner
    By ANTSMAN in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 09:27 AM
  3. bore, polishing?
    By ANTSMAN in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20-07-2012, 08:09 AM
  4. What bedding compound?
    By Malhunting in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-06-2012, 12:24 AM
  5. Bedding Compound
    By thedrunkfish in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!