Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 2 Post By smidey
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 2 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: just for intrest sake will these two 223 ammos shoot to the same point of impact

just for intrest sake will these two 223 ammos shoot to the same point of impact

right so looking at winchester and remington 55 grain 223 ammo
    #both are flat base 55gn pointed soft points
    #both have exactley the same stated velocity (3240fps) yes i know this verys depending on rifle
    #both have a BC of .197

so since they are pretty much the same not takeing into account brass or primer whats the chances they will shoot to the same point of impact give or take an inch

my rifle is zeroed for winchester but i was thinking after seeing this info on the 2 websites of rem and win that remington might be a good plan b
    if i couldn't get winchester and without haveing to rezero

be intrested to hear your thorghts

Probably be within "experimental error" of each other for small game maybe not for target shooting. My zastava shot 64 gr Winchesters to 1 inch below my 62 gr handloads at 100 m not enough to worry about for goats.

yeah terkeys pecocks and goats is what I use my 223 for and sometimes the odd bunny so don't need it to be perfectly zeroed as long as its useable accuracy ie on the shoulder at 150-200

My honest opinion, check gunworks webpage and get one of those "sample packs" if they have them or check with a mate who shoot with it and ask to try it.
    Best do it and take your own conclusion than relay on "our"(others) own experience, some rifles(as you mention) shoot better with "a" ammo than others.
    Good luck and all the best.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    right so looking at winchester and remington 55 grain 223 ammo
    #both are flat base 55gn pointed soft points
    #both have exactley the same stated velocity (3240fps) yes i know this verys depending on rifle
    #both have a BC of .197

so since they are pretty much the same not takeing into account brass or primer whats the chances they will shoot to the same point of impact give or take an inch

my rifle is zeroed for winchester but i was thinking after seeing this info on the 2 websites of rem and win that remington might be a good plan b
    if i couldn't get winchester and without haveing to rezero

be intrested to hear your thorghts
    I got some Belmont 55gr FMJs and 62gr FMJs and at 100yds they grouped similar, ie slightly low and to the right of the ADI 69gr SMK. I couldnt tell you the difference, in fact I forgot to note which was which, except one grouped a wee bit better, doh!!

What is your twist?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

1 in 8 I know I should be shooting the 60-70 but 55 is all I had in the ammo stores the when I zeroed it and it shot ok so just left it... rifle is a ruger American

1 in 8 I know I should be shooting the 60-70 but 55 is all I had in the ammo stores the when I zeroed it and it shot ok so just left it... rifle is a ruger American
    I don't think it should be shooting heavier pills, I will very well but you can shoot what ever weight you want.
    I have one of those American 223 and rate it very highly. So accurate with the Hornady training ammo, it's not branded training any more, just 55gr SP.
    I don't think the point of impact will be the same, we wouldn't be that lucky would we? If may be close, it may be way off. Only way to know is to try them I think.
    I did this with my American using the Hornady ammo at 100m at the range, worth using if you can source it and it's not expensive
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430601841603.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  17.1 KB

Sent from my workbench
    gadgetman and rambo-6mmrem like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

that's a bloody good group from a $700 rifle mate theres some bloody good shooters in the sub k bracket now.... yeah mine shoots well too which is why I left it at 55gn byt but am keen to try upto 70gn hand loads one day when I can be buggerd loading for 223
    smidey likes this.

not sure about those 2 loads.....
    but in my rifle 65gr gamekings shoot to the same POI at 100meters as 75gr Amax load.......

bonus I guess

Only way to know it by trying it.
    Toby likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

that's a bloody good group from a $700 rifle mate theres some bloody good shooters in the sub k bracket now.... yeah mine shoots well too which is why I left it at 55gn byt but am keen to try upto 70gn hand loads one day when I can be buggerd loading for 223
    Is a $700 rifle shooting factory ammo haha. Your right, there are some good shooters under a grand

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

my zastava .223 doesn't give a rats what she gets fed....same goes for the mod 70 .270
    the .223 pokes all into 1"ish no real difference in group centre
    the .270 will poke anything I feed her into playing card sized group...well it did a year or ten back when got the urge to find out, latest tests still put 170 grn 1" high at 100 and 130s 3" high
    all rifles are different

Yeah mate, I've used just about every brand of .223 ammo there is and never bothered to re site in my rifle. They should shoot pretty similar poi if both bullet weights are 55gr. Even if it's a couple inches out it won't matter on a goat or turkey at 100m, you'll still hit it.

Kj

I was going goat hunting on Sunday gone and needed some ammo so I brought a pack of both Winchester and Remington I used 3 rounds of the win hunting but still plenty to test with will let you guys know what I find
    smidey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    Is a $700 rifle shooting factory ammo haha. Your right, there are some good shooters under a grand

Sent from my workbench
    I had a marlin (x7 also $700) in 223 before this ruger only sold cause I prefer detach mags my fingers are useless for top loaders but that was a sub inch gun at 100m to
    smidey and PERRISCICABA like this.