Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Keeping semi autos cocked

Keeping semi autos cocked

Is this a bad idea and does it damage anything if it is left cocked for a period of time? I'm talking about if you cock it during cleaning, disassembly or inspecting the chamber yada yada yada

I just don't like to dry fire, Especially rimfires
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

I dry fire mine to release the firing pin while it is being stored as much as I do not like doing this I also do not like the idea of having the firing pin spring compressed either unsure if you can get snap caps for rimfires so you can dry fire prior to going in the gun cupboard without damaging the firing pin.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It's a good question. I always fire on an empty .22 case if the rifle is not going to be used for more than a couple of days.
    P38 and kiwi39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishkiwi View Post
    Is this a bad idea and does it damage anything if it is left cocked for a period of time? I'm talking about if you cock it during cleaning, disassembly or inspecting the chamber yada yada yada

I just don't like to dry fire, Especially rimfires
    No firearm should be left cocked, nor should magazines be left loaded, as this can cause the springs to take set and lose strength. With semi autos, particlularly rim fires, the cocking handle should be held back about 5 - 6 mm while you press the trigger. This will eliminate the chance of any chamber damage.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    No firearm should be left cocked, nor should magazines be left loaded, as this can cause the springs to take set and lose strength. With semi autos, particlularly rim fires, the cocking handle should be held back about 5 - 6 mm while you press the trigger. This will eliminate the chance of any chamber damage.
    Very helpful, thanks a lot
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

this is crap springs wear out because of use not compression the metal only has so many times that it contracts and expands before it wears out leaving your magazine full doesnt harm it loading it and unloading does if the springs failed because of being compressed then all your cars would be sitting on their axles after a couple of years think vintage cars tappet springs etc
    Kscott and john m like this.

Ejected
    As carlhurler said it doesnt make any difference. Store your rifles safely which for semis is with the action open.

Its not crap, springs will see elastic fartigue when compressed for a long time.
    This fatigue life is different for all springs, depending upon their material, duty, and type of cycling.
    Spook likes this.

Bolt closed, hammer down is what I use on my semis, Bolt closed and un-cocked for bolt actions and un-cocked with snap caps for my shotties.

You don't generally remove the bolt from your semi for storage so why not close it and put the hammer down, wont hurt anything
    gadgetman likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Always dry fire with a snap cap after cleaning, then storage.

Magazine springs only get loose from use, store compressed or uncompressed = no difference. Science, she be a harsh mistress !
    Banana likes this.

ebf
    Hahaha, so this is going to be one of those : your view is crap, no YOUR view is crap kind of threads
    northdude likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Hahaha, so this is going to be one of those : your view is crap, no YOUR view is crap kind of threads
    Looks like it, time to break out the 3d glasses and popcorn and sit back while the handbags start flying
    ebf, 308, northdude and 1 others like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    As carlhurler said it doesnt make any difference. Store your rifles safely which for semis is with the action open.
    So, what makes a semi more safe, stored with action open as opposed to stored with action closed?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

So why did my gun sergeant say ease springs or did he mean something else altogether?

If you have a policy of manually checking each firearm as you handle it and put it away even if you haven't fired it, how can having a closed bolt be MORE dangerous. Pphhhhh!!
    kiwi39 likes this.