Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which 7mm08 gun?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber 84M

15 35.71%
  • Tikka T3x

27 64.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Kimber 84M or Tikka T3x? Advice please

Question Kimber 84M or Tikka T3x? Advice please

I'm finally upgrading to a proper gun, and got the option to go for either a Kimber 84M or a Tikka T3x.
    Both in 7mm08, both the same price at around $1100 for the bare rifle.
    Both second hand

Any advice/opinions would be hugely appreciated.
    I like the idea of the lightness of the Kimber, but it's hard to go past the Tikka name and all that brings

Cheers

I have a Kimber 84M in 7mm-08 and it's great. Shoots better than I can, it's lightweight, good stock. Only things that might swing your vote are a short blind magazine. If you value a removable magazine then you don't get that with the Kimber, one thing less to lose though. I load Hornady 162gr ELD-M in it and the projectiles are way off the lands but still groups nicely.
    funkin_d likes this.

I have had both and still have a Tikka the main reason I sold the Kimber is the safety it's dam hard to get off quickly and quiet.
    You should be able to get a suppressed Tikka for around that money.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    funkin_d likes this.

Actually that's a good point, the safety is the worst feature of the Kimber without doubt. It's functionally unusable for quick and quiet use in my opinion. I find I would have to take my hand out of the shooting grip position to release it quietly. I don't use it, Kimber needs a Tikka safety! My CZ has the problem of being backwards to the Tikka, another issue...
    25 /08 IMP and funkin_d like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Kimber LOP is for midgets and small children. If you're over 4'6" they're terrible.
    57jl and funkin_d like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    You should be able to get a suppressed Tikka for around that money.
    Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. The Kimber is on trademe and haven't been able to view it so slightly more nervous about that.
    Tikka is actually secondhand from a store, and they would do me 1200 with Talley rings and set it up with my scope for me. Does that seem like a reasonable deal? I know I'm paying a little more from a shop, but it's pretty good condition, no suppressor though.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Kimber LOP is for midgets and small children. If you're over 4'6" they're terrible.
    Ha, good point, it did almost feel like holding a .22 when I picked one up, and the action on the Tikka is so much nicer and smoother to use.

Quote Originally Posted by funkin_d View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. The Kimber is on trademe and haven't been able to view it so slightly more nervous about that.
    Tikka is actually secondhand from a store, and they would do me 1200 with Talley rings and set it up with my scope for me. Does that seem like a reasonable deal? I know I'm paying a little more from a shop, but it's pretty good condition, no suppressor though.
    I guess it's not cheap the last one I sold had Talley rings and a DPT for around 1100 I think if you are going to put a can o it get them to give you a good price first as some shops will do new Tikka for around 1400.
    I would also put the call-out on here you never know what people have hiding.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    funkin_d likes this.

I have both a kimber Montana in 7mm-08 & a couple of T3’s in various calibres.

Both are different

Kimber - Winchester pre 64 control fed action with internal magazine (no floor plate), lightweight rifle where I cut the barrel down to 20 inches and put on a DPT over barrel suppressor. Rifle shoots 1/2 inch groups.

Something to be mindful of is some years back Kimber had a bad run with .260 & 7mm-08 barrels but seem to have rectified this issue but no longer produce rifles in .260

Some people find Kimber’s too light and like a bit of weight in a rifle. These rifles also have pencil thin barrels so the barrels heat up quickly.

Kimber’s typically sell second hand at $1800 plus so if this is being offered for $1100 then it’s either a great bargain or there’s something a miss

T3 - well known accurate and dependable rifles which is probably NZ’s number one bought rifle, 3 shot box magazine.

$1200 is a fair price and there easier to sell second hand as their reputation is well known an dependable.

Also you’d be buying through a shop so I’m sure they’d look after you well if something wasn’t right with the rifle.
    Micky Duck and funkin_d like this.

I own one of each, The tikka is nicer to shoot, the kimber is nicer to carry, both have decently stiff plastic stocks that can be shot accurately with a bipod. Both have detachable mags that cant be topped off through the breach (the kimber on TM in 7mm08 is a hunter so had detachable mag). Both have good crisp triggers. The tikka action is smoother but is only push feed

I would tend towards the tikka soley due to the fact it is through a shop and as such you get some consumer guarantee protection. Either rifle will be a fine and capable hunting rifle.
    Micky Duck and funkin_d like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    $1200 is a fair price and there easier to sell second hand as their reputation is well known an dependable.

Also you’d be buying through a shop so I’m sure they’d look after you well if something wasn’t right with the rifle.
    Awesome, thanks for the in depth advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I would tend towards the tikka soley due to the fact it is through a shop and as such you get some consumer guarantee protection.
    That's the way I'm leaning I think. Good to shoot and reliable, guaranteed through the store and easy re-sale.
    I liked the idea of something nice and light to carry but it's hard to go past a Tikka!

Gkp
    I enjoyed my kimber for many years but what made me sell it was that I couldn't shoot it without a bipod due to the skinny stock profile. I don't like to carry a rifle with a bipod any more as they often get hooked up on your pack when you want to take a quick shot, are positioned where you're fore hand should be, add weight and all up they are gay!
    Therefore my vote goes to tikka given that there is a multitude of after market stocks available.
    funkin_d likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I have both a kimber Montana in 7mm-08 & a couple of T3’s in various calibres.

Both are different

Kimber - Winchester pre 64 control fed action with internal magazine (no floor plate), lightweight rifle where I cut the barrel down to 20 inches and put on a DPT over barrel suppressor. Rifle shoots 1/2 inch groups.

Something to be mindful of is some years back Kimber had a bad run with .260 & 7mm-08 barrels but seem to have rectified this issue but no longer produce rifles in .260

Some people find Kimber’s too light and like a bit of weight in a rifle. These rifles also have pencil thin barrels so the barrels heat up quickly.

Kimber’s typically sell second hand at $1800 plus so if this is being offered for $1100 then it’s either a great bargain or there’s something a miss

T3 - well known accurate and dependable rifles which is probably NZ’s number one bought rifle, 3 shot box magazine.

It wasnt just 708s and 260s, Kimber were very hit and miss fullstop for a while. There was a Adirondack in 308 that did the rounds here between forum members and caused some problems and accusations before it was sorted by one member as the rifle being flawed from the start.
    Kimber have now stopped producing barrels and use Bergara barrels and even offer a 3 shot moa guarantee like most the other big brands since making the switch.
    You could just buy a Bergara.... real happy with mine and that's coming from someone who's come from Sakos and Custom build rifles
    57jl and funkin_d like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by funkin_d View Post
    ....Tikka is actually secondhand from a store, and they would do me 1200 with Talley rings and set it up with my scope for me. Does that seem like a reasonable deal? I know I'm paying a little more from a shop, but it's pretty good condition, no suppressor though.
    It would be better to mount your own scope.
    Nick-D likes this.