Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which knife sharpening system

Which knife sharpening system

Search function sucks I'm sure someone has asked this before.... Need advice on what to buy to sharpen my knives.
    I had a go on a mates lansky system and liked it but before I go ahead and drop some coin i want your opinions please

Lansky over priced, I got a Chinese copy of this of off ali express, does the job well but the stones do wear fairly quick....was advised to replace with genuine stones from this site but havent needed to yet.

Edge Pro Apex Model Sharpening System Kits | Edge Pro Inc.
    Blisters likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have a Lansky but never use it, hopeless on kitchen knives, filleting knives. Stupid clamp thing really drives me nuts
    Does OK on pocket or other short bladed knives
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I use lansky at home for my hunting knives and jewel stick in the field. I can see where @mikee is coming from with the longer blades thing though it's not good on the longer kitchen knives

northdude
    i just use an old school round flat water stone that my grandfather gave me cant be arsed with jigs and shit it works may not be scientificly perfect but i can cut shit and thats all i want to do with my knife also got an oil stone but the water one is easier
    veitnamcam, Beaker and Blisters like this.

What's wrong with a whetstone or 2, and some practice?

That way, all knives sorted.

I also use a ceramic steel, (from Ali express) for the kitchen knives. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It is my second, as the son thought the first may be a good drum stick - it wasn't.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

@mikee want to move it On?
    Cheers vc! Ordered one

Oh, the steel is -

TAIDEA T0843C sharpening rod knives sharpening stone high-performance ceramic knife for 10 inch zirconia sharpening steel rod
    TAIDEA T0843C sharpening rod knives sharpening stone high performance ceramic knife for 10 inch zirconia sharpening steel rod-in Sharpeners from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard
    (from AliExpress Android)
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Nothing wrong with a wetstone I got taught by a Cutler how to use one in my retail days, when it was quiet over winter we would sharpen everything. A lansky or similar similar system is effectively an oil stone but I can get degrees perfectly, for my planes and chisels etc
    Beaker likes this.

Had a lanksy and had the same problems with the clamp.

Brought a set of Japanese water stones and love them. Use a 'fallkniven' (f":king auto correct tried 4 times) dc3 stone with ceramic and diamond sides that I take in my pack on trips

Had a lanksy and had the same problems with the clamp.

Brought a set of Japanese water stones and love them. Use a 'fallkniven' (f":king auto correct tried 4 times) dc3 stone with ceramic and diamond sides that I take in my pack on trips
    Grue likes this.

Name:  WSKTSKO.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  73.6 KB

Picked up one of these last year in 240v. Comes with 5 different grades of belts (course grind all the way down to polish), variable speed and an adjustable angle guide for different knives. Even did an axe the other day to a mirror finish.

Love the edges i can get on my Lansky when I have the time, but when you want to do every knife in the kitchen drawer and every pocket/hunting knife you own, plus the odd tool in the shed in 30mins, bloody brilliant.
    Double Shot and berg243 like this.

Lansky clamp seems to be a universal problem. When I use mine I clamp the blade and then clamp the clamp in a vice. Seems to hold it better.
    Ali express ceramic steel +1.
    Also use a Smiths pull through sharpener on my cheaper, softer knives. Very quick and effective.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Good quality Diamond stones and a strop to finish. If going the way of a lanksy get a edge pro or scary sharp style system. Bit spendy but you only have to buy once

To the OP.
    The Lansky is adequate but certainly more suited to small knives. The Scary Sharp is more suited to knives with longer blades, small pocket knives are a bit fidly.