Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: LED torches

LED torches

Gotta buy a new torch , old one is ok , a 6 cell Maglite , but it costa mint to fill with batts , they don't last long and I still cant see %uck all......so I need a hand held torch , that could be used as a spot light if needed......any suggestions /
    Thanks

I never knew anyone actually used those Maglites as a torch, I thought they were just for security guards to hit people with!

Buy a Maxtoch, I have an SN-6 but there is a newer better model now which someone else can tell you about.

+1

The last lot got bought out pretty quick. They are busy producing more at the moment. The Aussie police have done a big buy up with Maxtoch.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Get an LED bulb for the Maglight might be the simplest solution?

@GravelBen those 6 cell were a godsend when I was working downtown Auck in the early 90's, helped re educate a few drunks, druggies and wayward students in its time
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Hey hamsav I just went down to the macpac shop and got me a nice little led torch by macpac cost seventy dollars reduced to forty in sale. Goes really well and does all I need it to do. Check them out. I am impressed better that my last expensive torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    @GravelBen those 6 cell were a godsend when I was working downtown Auck in the early 90's, helped re educate a few drunks, druggies and wayward students in its time
    I bet! I had a 3 cell one when I was a teenager, from memory it eventually gave up the ghost after being used too many times for hammering in tent pegs.
    Barefoot likes this.

If you're looking for best value for dollar C8 XM-L2 - Wholesale C8 XM-L2 - Cheap C8 XM-L2 Reviews Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

Maxtoch is a bit better but you can buy 5 of these for the price. Just need to be wary of cheap Ultrafire knock-offs with lower quality.

I went from the maglite to a led lenser p7. More light, a tenth the size and weight and batteries last for ages. I also got the scope mount and it can sit up top no trouble

Sent from my work bench
    Ryan and Dynastar27 like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

I can't recommend maxtoch enough, my sn6x 2x, admitadly tweaked has a beam range of 950m and has cost me less than a p7. I own 3 different maxtoch models and rate them. I did buy a p7 once but gave it away pretty quickly when I stared listening to the masses an stared buying cheap Chinese torches that have more recent and far better Cree chips than older lenser technology.
    The maxtoch torches have be designed on information provided by nz hunters, are very well made and have to be the best value hunting torch that you can purchase for under $100 imo

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    I went from the maglite to a led lenser p7. More light, a tenth the size and weight and batteries last for ages. I also got the scope mount and it can sit up top no trouble

Sent from my work bench
    Yeah, the P7 rocks, lives on my belt kit and carrying spare batteries is no drama, headlamp for walking ect, and the P7 for looking about and in the mount on the bush rifle- Maglight?, yeah/nahh....

The light I got from gadgetman shits on my P7. Could buy about 4? 5? to the one P7 too. Though the P7 has been a good hard little unit in the time I've used it. Time will tell how good the new one I use are but I have used it a lot through duck shooting an shes going good so far
    VIVA LA HOWA

My point is more about going to a small led torch that emits more light, is a tenth of the size and batteries last ten times longer. Led torches are better in every way, what you pay or how you build them is up to you. I also have a p5 head lamp which is brilliant to use when spot lighting for lighting your path, on fact I use it the most working on my old car, just brilliant. I still use a spot light for finding the prey but the p7 on the scope means I don't have to hold the gun and spot light when I am shooting if I'm alone.

Sent from my work bench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    My point is more about going to a small led torch that emits more light, is a tenth of the size and batteries last ten times longer. Led torches are better in every way, what you pay or how you build them is up to you. I also have a p5 head lamp which is brilliant to use when spot lighting for lighting your path, on fact I use it the most working on my old car, just brilliant. I still use a spot light for finding the prey but the p7 on the scope means I don't have to hold the gun and spot light when I am shooting if I'm alone.

Sent from my work bench
    The Maxtochs mentioned above can easily be mounted on a scope or under a barrel too and can light up a house or trees at 1km . The Li-Ion batteries have a much greater energy density too. They also make an excellent hand held spotlight, since using them our halogen and HID spotlights have been binned.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If you can find someone with a Maxtoch torch, compare it side by side with the Lenser and then you will know what we are all on about. If you've never seen a maxtoch then yep you will think the P7 is quite good. If you get the chance to compare it with someone's maxtoch then I'm pretty sure you will be wanting to take it back and get your money back.