Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Sapper
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By Konev
  • 1 Post By Beavis

Thread: The Lee Enfield finally to be retired from active Military service

Unhappy The Lee Enfield finally to be retired from active Military service

I suspect that a number of you may be unaware that the 303 Lee Enfield is still in use as the front line weapon for a British Commonwealth militia unit. I refer to the Canadian Rangers, 5,000 reservists scattered across 200 communities in upper Canada. A link with information on this Canadian Army Reserve Group here.

The Rangers have
    continued to use them from the time of their purchase, back in 1947, through to today as the weapon of choice, being able to operate at temperatures of minus 50 c and not freeze up. Although stocks of unissued rifles are still held by The Canada Defence Force, the numbers are limited and spare parts,an ongoing problem.

Sadly, sigh, they will all be gone by 2019, see this link.

DAF, veitnamcam and Bryan like this.

A great part of military history comes to an end....they will still be firing in a hundred years from now!!!!!!!
    steven likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Indian police still use them.
    Ryan likes this.

Collectively the Lee Enfield MK4.303 has accounted for more deer pigs and goats in NZ than all the other calibers put together. I wore mine out in 1965, keyholing at 25 yds and swapped it for a 1940 8mm Mauser. Still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    Indian police still use them.
    Well...........perhaps, bits of them and I understand why you say that, I imagine you have seen what appears to be a SMLE #1 mk 3, but is in fact actually a "Rifle 7.62mm 2A/2A1 (also known as the Ishapore 2A/2A1) . The "square" magazine is the easy giveaway.

They look like a SMLE, smell like a SMLE as they often have SMLE parts but they were designed and built specifically for the NATO 7.62 round, not 303 and not modified. Here is an informative ( as always) WIKI link on that beast.

Note that although firing 7.62, a user would be brave and ill advised to use with Winchester 308.......unlike my Spanish FR8.

All power to the Canadian PM. Loves his guns clearly, not like some we know in the next door country, this one or even our brothers across the ditch.
    Like to see what they replace it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Well...........perhaps, bits of them and I understand why you say that, I imagine you have seen what appears to be a SMLE #1 mk 3, but is in fact actually a "Rifle 7.62mm 2A/2A1 (also known as the Ishapore 2A/2A1) . The "square" magazine is the easy giveaway.
    I knew that Ishapore made local SLR copies but didn't know about the above. I'd always presumed them to be .303!

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    All power to the Canadian PM. Loves his guns clearly, not like some we know in the next door country, this one or even our brothers across the ditch.
    Like to see what they replace it with.
    Canadian Ranger Rifle - CRR Project - Lee-Enfield Replacement - No 4 Mk I* - CASR Background - Canadian American Strategic Review - Long Branch Arsenal - 308 Winchester - SARP 2 - Small Arms Replacement Project - Arctic Sovereignty - Government Milit

Basically a more modern version with a rail and C79.
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I knew that Ishapore made local SLR copies but didn't know about the above. I'd always presumed them to be .303!.............

Don't feel embarrassed, as I also believed the same until another, with better eyesight than mine drew my attention to the square magazine..DUH

The Ishapore 2A/2A1 rifle uses a new receiver made out of modern, i.e. WWII standard, ordnance steel.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Just give them AK's?
    kiwijames likes this.

res
    Hmm, 308 ak's would seem good but I think it has to come from colt Canada
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    The Lee Enfield is issued to Rangers because they are cheap; once issued the rifle is written off. Essentially they just give them to them, along with 50 rounds of .303 a year.
    They have been talking about replacing them with a modern rifle for the last few years. The last I read about it, the Rangers wanted a bolt action in .308, I think a Remington 700 was what they had proposed.

Some Indian Police do in fact still use SMLE's in .303 caliber in some districts, although they are being phased out.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You suspect correctly, I WAS completely unaware!

This smiley is the closest I could find to a really big yawning smiley.