Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 2 Post By Tech
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Shearer

Thread: Leica 2400 R question

ebf

Leica 2400 R question

Looking at one of these units. I've downloaded the user manual, but it does not have any diagrams of the actual display.

According to the specs, these have TBR (EHR in Leica-speak) out to 1200 yds.

My question is how is this implemented in the display ?

With EHR turned on, does it give you the line-of-sight distance followed by the TBR distance ?

With EHR turned off, does it always give you line-of-sight distance along with the angle ?

Hope that makes sense.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Looking at one of these units. I've downloaded the user manual, but it does not have any diagrams of the actual display.

According to the specs, these have TBR (EHR in Leica-speak) out to 1200 yds.

My question is how is this implemented in the display ?

With EHR turned on, does it give you the line-of-sight distance followed by the TBR distance ?

With EHR turned off, does it always give you line-of-sight distance along with the angle ?

Hope that makes sense.
    Make sure you get the one that will pair to the kestrel!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Make sure you get the one that will pair to the kestrel!
    Piss off, I am already spending enough of my slush find with you

That's the 2800.com model

R = TBR
    B = Ballistic
    .com = bluetooth pairing
    Sarvo likes this.

I've not tried the TBR function on mine but in normal mode there is a separate button for finding the angle.
    I'm guessing the TBR function would use the same angle button, i can check in a few days on mine if you don't get a confirmation from someone else.
    ebf likes this.

OK, way it works is Leica will only give you a dial/dope/firing solution out to about 900m.

I have the 2700B rangefinder, this article really helped : http://panhandleprecision.com/ballis...-edition-2200/

From what I gather the software works better if you have it set to read MOA or Mil clicks out of your turret, so instead of an EHR of 335 meters/yards it will just be dial '23' on your scope.

@ebf my understanding is the 2400R menu only allows you to change from yards to metres and the ability to turn EHR on or off. With EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range) turn on when you range an object the first displayed figure is the line of sight distance and then it displays the EHR figure. As far as I know the 2400R doesn't have the menus to set MOA or Mils etc.
    Shearer and Sarvo like this.

ebf
    Thanks @Tech.

If EHR is switched off, does it then display both the line-of-sight range and and angle, or do you need to press a different button to get the angle.

I guess it only becomes an issue at the limit of EHR. With it switched on, what happends when you range something beyond the limit. It displays actual range, and "---" for the second (EHR) number ?

I'm unsure if their EHR is still the same in the newer models, but this thread link is an interesting read. Leica doesn't just use a basic angle calculation. It takes into account pressure and temperature as well. Hard for me to explain but have a read.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-1600b.150425/

You also had to match up a ballistic curve model that was in the manual to use EHR function

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    I'm unsure if their EHR is still the same in the newer models, but this thread link is an interesting read. Leica doesn't just use a basic angle calculation. It takes into account pressure and temperature as well. Hard for me to explain but have a read.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-1600b.150425/

You also had to match up a ballistic curve model that was in the manual to use EHR function
    They are talking about the 1600-B
    Not the 1600-R
    This 2400-R superseded the 1600-R but it still not the B (Ballistic) model
    The 2700-B has now been superseded by the 2800com
    There is also a 3500com

But - thanks for link - good read and will tag that as I have trouble getting my head around this Ranger details etc

@ebf. I just had a play with mine. With it set on EHR, at closer ranges it gives a los distance and then changes to the horizontal distance. At extended ranges (I just ranged some trees over 2000 yards away) it gives a range (los I assume) and then _ _ _. No angle information appears anywhere that I can see.
    ebf likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    @ebf. I just had a play with mine. With it set on EHR, at closer ranges it gives a los distance and then changes to the horizontal distance. At extended ranges (I just ranged some trees over 2000 yards away) it gives a range (los I assume) and then _ _ _. No angle information appears anywhere that I can see.
    Awesome, tx for that.

I think that if you press the red (secondary) button, it gives you the angle. Not sure if that will work with EHR on.

Ok. Cheers. I haven't had it long and the EHR function will be well within the ranges I am using it to so I haven't experimented with it at all.

@ebf on the 1600B, 2000B and 2700B when the red front button is pushed once it shows three different values. First is the angle followed by the temperature and lastly the barometric pressure.
    Reading through the owners manual for the 2400R there is no mention of it showing the angle. Please let us know if it does show the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    @ebf on the 1600B, 2000B and 2700B when the red front button is pushed once it shows three different values. First is the angle followed by the temperature and lastly the barometric pressure.
    Reading through the owners manual for the 2400R there is no mention of it showing the angle. Please let us know if it does show the angle.
    The red button does give the angle, independent of the mode.
    Tech likes this.