Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Leica Geovid HD-B vs Swarovski EL Rangefinding Binoculars

Leica Geovid HD-B vs Swarovski EL Rangefinding Binoculars

Most things I have read say its down to personal preference as they are both top of the line.

Leica

Pros:
    - Better range finder
    - Integrated custom ballistic solution capability

Cons:
    - Bigger and heavier
    - Another chunk more expensive

Swarovski

Pros:
    - Lighter compact unit
    - Better price

Cons:
    - No custom ballistic solution
    - Range finder not as grunty (but still plenty good enough)

I have also been told by retailers that their experience has shown Swarovski much easier to deal with for warranty issues and repair / replacement etc. I cant go wrong either way but keen to see if anyone has experience with both.

Cheers team.
    Been Upto likes this.

Was thinking about the same issue last week and ended up ordering a pair of the Leica's, decided the ballistics program was worth the extra weight. And the model seems more up to date than the swaros.

Will let you know how they go, should turn up in the next few days.
    stagstalker and Been Upto like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The Swaro's used to be a similar price to the Leica's but the middle man was dropped out of the equation and the cost came down to something approaching reasonable. I don't know whether you could say the Leica has a better rangefinder although it has more range.

I found even the Swaro EL Range FP too bulky and thus only used a couple of times.
    stagstalker and Been Upto like this.

Swaros warranty system is easier but it needs to be. Seen quite a few swaros back.
    Been Upto likes this.

What year were the EL's updated ???
    End of subject in my eye
    NZ32 likes this.

I’ve used all of these. The Zeiss are better than both of these. Sit right in the middle for all your pros and cons of size and weight. As good a range finder or better as leica. Much better custom bullet data that is easy to adjust in the field when setting up. Can hold 9 rifles plus 4 different dead out options including mil, moa. The leica is so limited because it is on a SD card.
    The next best option at half the price is the SIG BDX 3000 binos. These are exceptional for the $2400. Ballistics only goes to 800m with app without a kestrel. With the kestrel it will do till the rangefinder stops I think. I’ve ranged that to 4000m. The rangefinder is the fastest you’ll get.
    Glass clarity and usability is pretty damn good compared to the high end binos. Also lifetime warranty.
    andyanimal31 and 7mmsaum like this.

I have a pair of Swarovski and the range finder is very average won't give a reading when alot of cheaper ones will.
    I may need to get them looked at.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Bos
    Have the Leica HDB's - had them about 3 years now and the price is definitely cheaper now.
    The ballstic program combined with your dial up scope reticle is simple, quickto use, and extremely accurate.
    In this class of Bino, there are no con's, just pro's.
    kiwijames and tikka like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    What year were the EL's updated ???
    End of subject in my eye

The Swaro EL Range was updated about three years ago to the Field Pro model. Supposedly the same optics but Swarovski never say when they do slight changes to their glass coatings. The FP model upgrade includes a different, better feeling covering, a faster rangefinder, different rangefinder button, different strap system and much better objective lens cover retaining system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I’ve used all of these. The Zeiss are better than both of these. Sit right in the middle for all your pros and cons of size and weight. As good a range finder or better as leica. Much better custom bullet data that is easy to adjust in the field when setting up. Can hold 9 rifles plus 4 different dead out options including mil, moa. The leica is so limited because it is on a SD card.
    The next best option at half the price is the SIG BDX 3000 binos. These are exceptional for the $2400. Ballistics only goes to 800m with app without a kestrel. With the kestrel it will do till the rangefinder stops I think. I’ve ranged that to 4000m. The rangefinder is the fastest you’ll get.
    Glass clarity and usability is pretty damn good compared to the high end binos. Also lifetime warranty.
    Had a look through a pair of the new Zeiss RF binos and they are certainly very nice. Quite a bit more expensive than the Swaro and Leicas.

Happy with my Leica HD-R's 10x42.

They fog up a bit too much for my liking though, dunno how I can avoid that.

Keen to hear peoples experiences aswell for when I upgrade my binos

Something I forgot to note. The swaro doesn’t give you angle compensation past 1000m if that happens to be of concern. The angle compensation is not entirely correct past a certain distance either, maybe 700m we have tested it and it seemed out.
    We did test some range finders against some survey equipment at 1 mile. Definetly used zeiss RF 10x42 and the sig bdx 3000. I think we use Ltd the leica aswell. Were all within 1m.
    One difference with the Zeiss is it ranges on release of the button not press so is a bit steadier. The sig is better at longer ranges with the scan as it gets lost of hit attempts so it usually doesn’t fail to get a reading. When others can be surface dependant.
    The Kahles probably has the poorest range finder 1000m reliable. Most others including the new vortex are effective to 1500m then target surface selective after that.
    The furthest was the sig at over 4000m. Zeiss can work to 3300m with the 2265m furthest I had data but wouldn’t be accurate because of the bc in software would not have been degraded. Need the kestrel for that which can be used in the sig bino.

At that end of the market they are all pretty much the same in terms of function.

Far more important is how they look to YOUR eyes. I’ve changed between Leica and Swarovski a couple of times in the last decade because of changes to my vision more than any lens coating they may have rolled out.

And trying them both in store proves nothing. Unfortunately they really need to be tried side by side on the hill to really make a decision.
    BRADS and 10-Ring like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    At that end of the market they are all pretty much the same in terms of function.

Far more important is how they look to YOUR eyes. I’ve changed between Leica and Swarovski a couple of times in the last decade because of changes to my vision more than any lens coating they may have rolled out.

And trying them both in store proves nothing. Unfortunately they really need to be tried side by side on the hill to really make a decision.
    Damm - I'd have to agree with that, bout the first thing ever you've posted I can say that about eh Proudkiwi Haha. When I bought mine I called at every shop between Invers and Chch to compare. Especially don't get hung up on the power, there is no practical difference in spotting game etc between 8 and 10 power, but there are often huge differences in how your eye will work with the bino for scanning, to me most 10x sets feel like I'm looking down a pipe, and I went with Leica 8x in the end. Most stores will let you take them outside and have a decent test . . . .

Go and use a normal pair of ELs for a while and then go use a pair of EL range... the normal ELs are noticeably better than their range finding counterpart. They're still good binos but if I was forking out the money for them I would be a little pissed to discover what they gain by including a rangefinder is lost in quality of the glass.
    Sarvo likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.