Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BobGibson
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring
  • 1 Post By chchben
  • 1 Post By Feebz

Thread: Leica HD-B vs Swarovski EL range

Leica HD-B vs Swarovski EL range

Hi Guys

looking for honest opinion on the HDB leicas and the EL swaro range binoculars

theyre both high end, just interested to know what you went with and why, warranties etc

also looking for the best price to get in NZ if there are any retailers in particular?
    #BallisticFists

Leica hdb as swaro warranty is very short

Leica gives a brighter image in low light
    chchben likes this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Leicas programmable ballistic solution is fantastic

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Leica hdb as swaro warranty is very short
    Thought they were pretty much the same although the Leica warranty is not transferable.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    Leica gives a brighter image in low light
    Never heard anyone ever say that before.

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Hi Guys

looking for honest opinion on the HDB leicas and the EL swaro range binoculars

they're both high end, just interested to know what you went with and why, warranties etc

also looking for the best price to get in NZ if there are any retailers in particular?
    The Leica HD-B is quite a bit larger than the EL Range. Some prefer the optics of the Swaro and some the Leica. The latest version of the EL Range has a faster rangefinder than the previous model if you think that a few micro seconds count for anything.

The best prices I've seen are from Jacobs Digital in Auckland.

You really need to try both to see which you prefer. Everyone's eyes are different.
    BRADS likes this.

I've spent the last month looking into a new pair of high end binos, if i end up with range finder ones it will be the HD-B, but I'm leaning toward a Ultravid HD-plus and a leica 1600b for investment longevity.
    if you must have the swarovski then id suggest finding mate heading to aus to pick some up and get them to claim a gst refund on the way out.. it will save you a grand! as pricing is that much lower on swaro there now, and I think they have international warranties on these brands if bought from a authorised retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by chchben View Post
    I've spent the last month looking into a new pair of high end binos, if i end up with range finder ones it will be the HD-B, but I'm leaning toward a Ultravid HD-plus and a leica 1600b for investment longevity.
    if you must have the swarovski then id suggest finding mate heading to aus to pick some up and get them to claim a gst refund on the way out.. it will save you a grand! as pricing is that much lower on swaro there now, and I think they have international warranties on these brands if bought from a authorised retailer.
    Can you explain the GST refund? I can understand that you could claim back the Australian GST of 10% but then thought you'd only then be charged the NZ GST of 15%. I'm heading to Oz next month & this might just put them in the do-able category.

Unbelievable that they're $1000 cheaper over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz View Post
    Can you explain the GST refund? I can understand that you could claim back the Australian GST of 10% but then thought you'd only then be charged the NZ GST of 15%. I'm heading to Oz next month & this might just put them in the do-able category.

Unbelievable that they're $1000 cheaper over there.

Currently over there the retail for Swarovski 10x42 EL Range is $3490aud ... Less the 10% gst = $3172aud ... Current exchange rate buying aud makes that $3401nzd.
    Which is between $1050-1250nz cheaper depending where you shop here.

http://www.border.gov.au/Enteringorl...chure-2010.pdf

And of course you'd be foolish to not use them a bit and discard packaging, returning with them carry on as personal used goods.

But even if you paid 15%gst you would still be $600 better off
    Last edited by chchben; 24-08-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chchben View Post
    Currently over there the retail for Swarovski 10x42 EL Range is $3490aud ... Less the 10% gst = $3172aud ... Current exchange rate buying aud makes that $3401nzd.
    Which is between $1050-1250nz cheaper depending where you shop here.

http://www.border.gov.au/Enteringorl...chure-2010.pdf

And of course you'd be foolish to not use them a bit and discard packaging, returning with them carry on as personal used goods.

But even if you paid 15%gst you would still be $600 better off
    What website is this from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...ou-a-traveller

I see a retailer in Sydney advertising them for $3173....so with the GST refund would be $2885AUD....totalling $3015NZD
    chchben likes this.