Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Leupold CDS

MPR

Leupold CDS

Hi guys, keen to hear from someone using the leupold CDS system

I am interested in putting a new scope on the 308 and like the idea of CDS

Any of you guys using this feature and how do you rate it ?

Probably look at getting a vx3i 3-10 for the bush pig as it seems like a handy system

Cheers

love mine I have 3 - VX-R 4-12, VX3i 4.5-14, VX3i 3-10 Zero stop. ...

I have the last one on a T3 16.5" barrel 308 bushpig. Brilliant..
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

MPR
    Nice one, how far out do you shoot with the 308? Mines also 16inch

Curious to know if you notice much change In point of impact when shooting in higher altitudes with different temps

Cheers

If you zero at 170m, you should be able to strech past 500m depending on the projectile you are using.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

I had the CDS-ZL added to my VX3i (was a non CDS model so sent to aussie to retro fit) - I like it, I left mine with stand 1/4 MOA markings not the custom dial ranges - that way its useable with what ever load or rifle I put it on - My zero is 200m and with the CDS + reticle in theory I could reach out to 720m with my 6.5cm

I have a VX2 3x9 CDS with windplex on my 308 16". Shoot out to 550 yards with the single turn zero stop with a 100 yard zero.
    I stay away from the custom dials as you never know what rifle you may want it on and MOA/MIL dialing is a good habit to get into anyway.
    Shearer and keneff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MPR View Post
    Hi guys, keen to hear from someone using the leupold CDS system

I am interested in putting a new scope on the 308 and like the idea of CDS

Any of you guys using this feature and how do you rate it ?

Probably look at getting a vx3i 3-10 for the bush pig as it seems like a handy system

Cheers
    Another option you might want to consider is the bonne and crockett . pretty simple to use once you work it out. I have had good results with mine. still need a range finder
    Gibo likes this.

I have all my centrefires with CDS as it takes the guess work in hold over out.

All my scopes are either 2.5-8 or 2-7 scopes which were either sent to the Leupold custom shop for retrofitting or to NOIA in Australia.

I would not send anything to NOIA again due to their cost!!!

I’ve kept all my scopes with standard MOA as you never know what rifle it might get switched to and it hasn’t taken too much to figure out.

Generally I have my rifles zeroed for 100 mtrs where I can dial up from there.

A mate bought a Leupold CDS scope where he sent off all the data for his free custom dial where he’s been really happy with that scope with longest shot at 350 mtrs.

I definitely recommend it
    MPR likes this.

So if I buy a 2-8x36 do I then need to send it to leupold in the US to have a CDS fitted?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    So if I buy a 2-8x36 do I then need to send it to leupold in the US to have a CDS fitted?
    If it doesn’t already have the system fitted then yes you’ll need to send it to the Leupold Custom shop in the US or to NOIA in Australia.

I wrote an article on my NOIA experience as the custom shop wasn’t operating as they were undergoing a refit which may have now finished

Or buy one with the CDS option!

I've been running a VX5 3-15X44 Firedot CDS scope on my 6.5 creedmoor tikka,
    The thing is I haven't yet sent away for my custom dial.
    Went and worked up a great shooting load with 147gn ELD-M projectiles and AR2209 powder, Now I've no idea when I'll be able to make some more rounds to suit, can't find the components.
    Faced wit the dilemma of if I get a custom dial fo my load data will it just become obsolete due to supply issues.

I like the concept in theory for on the fly range adjustment, but if taking longer shots hunting I expect you'll have a little more time to punch some numbers into a ballistics app.
    In practice there's more to think about than just distance,
    Shooting a steep angle up or down hill can cause shots to hit higher than you'd expect, not to mention changes in altitude, pressure, humidity etc etc. Etc. so a Custom Dial still may not get you dead on target but probably closer than total guess.

As for the VX5 scope, Its a fantastic all round option I'm glad I stretched my budget a bit, had been considering a VX-3 like you but for a few dollars more you get one great piece of glass.
    Buy once - cry once.

I've got a vx3i 3-10 cds on my 16" bushpig. Was happily smacking football sized rocks consistently at 450yrds when zeroing. Yet to shoot an animal further than 25yrds with it yet though! Seems ideal setup. Have a vx5hd on longrange rig, lovely scope but alot more bulky for a compact rifle.
    Dama dama and MPR like this.

If your going to use your cds properly chrony your bullet and get the custom turret. So easy. Range and dial. No counting clicks. So quick and easy.
    Name:  F053DCFF-E852-4A90-A3E3-3A6BB86C4A2F.jpeg
Views: 529
Size:  1.30 MB
    Name:  83399C96-3391-4717-B040-AF264BB22267.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  280.6 KB

Get one with a zero lock because the dial turns real easy while you carry it.