Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RugerM77
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Leupold M8 - 6x Compact

Leupold M8 - 6x Compact

Hi Guys. I purchased a Ruger M77/22 not long ago. On it was the Leupold M8 -6x Compact in pristine condition. Back in the day I used 4x Compact, primarily that's all I had. Question though, since the 6x was mounted on a rimfire is there any possiblity that it's set up with rimfire parrallax and how do I tell? No obvious markings on scope which leads me to believe that it's standard. Any assists?

I'd doubt that it's set for rimfire parallax. Could be wrong of course.

The lower the power the less noticeable the parallax becomes but would be visible at 6x at the likes of 30 yds and under. I have a 1-4 Leupold that is terrible on 4x at 25 yds whilst with my M8-3X which is on an air rifle, the parallax is barely discernable.

I've also got a cheap Tasco Pronghorn 4x which is quite happy on a 22 rf and virtually paralkax free at shorter ranges.

The only way to tell is to aim at something at say 25 yds and carefully move your head slightly up/down or left/right. The reticle will move relative to your point of aim.

CF scopes can be set for RF parallax by adjusting the objective lens in its thread.
    I wouldn't be attempting that though with a fine old M8-6X.

Thanks for the advice. Just tried. Reticle's not moving. My old 4x was pretty much bullet proof, I assume this will be the same, I'll pop it onto a Vanguard .308 that I've just finished tuning. Cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I'd doubt that it's set for rimfire parallax. Could be wrong of course.

The lower the power the less noticeable the parallax becomes but would be visible at 6x at the likes of 30 yds and under. I have a 1-4 Leupold that is terrible on 4x at 25 yds whilst with my M8-3X which is on an air rifle, the parallax is barely discernable.

I've also got a cheap Tasco Pronghorn 4x which is quite happy on a 22 rf and virtually paralkax free at shorter ranges.

The only way to tell is to aim at something at say 25 yds and carefully move your head slightly up/down or left/right. The reticle will move relative to your point of aim.

CF scopes can be set for RF parallax by adjusting the objective lens in its thread.
    I wouldn't be attempting that though with a fine old M8-6X.
    you have an M8 3X and you put it on AIR RIFLE!!!!!!!

surely it deserves a home on bush rifle centrefire or a .22lr at least....will the recoil of air rifle not cook such a fine optic??????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you have an M8 3X and you put it on AIR RIFLE!!!!!!!

surely it deserves a home on bush rifle centrefire or a .22lr at least....will the recoil of air rifle not cook such a fine optic??????
    Used to live on my 308 until I succumbed to a 3-9. The 3X has an incredible field of view and I shot quite a bit of game on the run in bush with it.
    Yeah, I was a bit daring putting it on an air rifle (a Weihrauch HW80) but it never missed a beat. It's at present off the air rifle and in between uses.

At one stage the M8-3X was a recognised Africa 375 H&H rifle scope. That's not to say a springer air rifle couldn't beat it to death.

well let me know if you want to move it onwards......I would happily exchange any of the other scopes I have here for it....have very early compact fixed 6x burris..and by early I mean at least 50 years old so its a good un,spent entire life on .22lr,sitting in cupboard as put 3x9x40 freedom on the 22lr. you could twist my arm out of either one....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well let me know if you want to move it onwards......I would happily exchange any of the other scopes I have here for it....have very early compact fixed 6x burris..and by early I mean at least 50 years old so its a good un,spent entire life on .22lr,sitting in cupboard as put 3x9x40 freedom on the 22lr. you could twist my arm out of either one....
    Ha ha. I'll keep you in mind MD.
    Micky Duck likes this.

put it in your will.......please....
    dogmatix and zimmer like this.