Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Leupold VX 6 scopes

  1. #1
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,061

    Leupold VX 6 scopes

    Is anyone currently using one of these? Ive just brought a rather classic looking rifle. Even though its capable of LR work I dont want it looking
    like some of the rifles Ive had in the past.

    Im thinking a 3x 18 x 44 with the CDS dial on top.Any feedback would be appreciated. Im not looking at any european scopes as I only want to dial MOA.
    Nightforce are also out as the rifle is heavy enough without one of them on top

  2. #2
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    8,243
    I have the same scope on my 7/375 its a mint scope, dials well and glass is great for what I need.
    Just brought a Zeiss HD5 for a new build, will be interesting two compare them both.
    Nathan F likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I have the same scope on my 7/375 its a mint scope, dials well and glass is great for what I need.
    Just brought a Zeiss HD5 for a new build, will be interesting two compare them both.
    Thanks for that. Be interested to hear the comparisons .

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    251
    What rifle did you get?

  5. #5
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik470 View Post
    What rifle did you get?
    Ring me when you get a minute. The bride doesnt know.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,898
    Ill let you know when mine turns up, its the 2-12 model tho
    Nathan F likes this.

  7. #7
    Member keen fella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    267
    I've got the 3-18x44 illuminated boone crockett on a 7mm rem mag and love it!
    Part of my reason for choosing this scope was to get a long range capable scope but without having massive turrent etc. Some scopes just look too big and bulky for when it comes to practical hunting.
    Wide field of view, crisp image, side focus easy to use and very clear, yet to send away for the customs dials but will do so shortly, tracks well.
    Initially I wasn't going to get the illuminated reticle but in the end I though bugger it, why not. I'm sure it will come in handy one day!??!

  8. #8
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    3,155
    They are a great all round scope

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    449
    Got the 3-18x44 illuminated boone and crockett on my 308. Haven't had it long (couple of weeks), but I love it so far!
    Nathan F likes this.

  10. #10
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by keen fella View Post
    I've got the 3-18x44 illuminated boone crockett on a 7mm rem mag and love it!
    Part of my reason for choosing this scope was to get a long range capable scope but without having massive turrent etc. Some scopes just look too big and bulky for when it comes to practical hunting.
    Wide field of view, crisp image, side focus easy to use and very clear, yet to send away for the customs dials but will do so shortly, tracks well.
    Initially I wasn't going to get the illuminated reticle but in the end I though bugger it, why not. I'm sure it will come in handy one day!??!
    Cheers mate. Exactly why I'm looking at it. Same calibre too

  11. #11
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    21,248
    Has anyone ever actually needed a illuminated aim point?
    I only ask cos i have never had a problem seeing my cross hair in any light. Only ever problem seeing target. This includes mornin evening and spotlighting even at extreme range just identifying yup deer or no cow sheep etc
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  12. #12
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Has anyone ever actually needed a illuminated aim point?
    I only ask cos i have never had a problem seeing my cross hair in any light. Only ever problem seeing target. This includes mornin evening and spotlighting even at extreme range just identifying yup deer or no cow sheep etc
    I had an illuminated nightforce npr2 reticle. I used it once in or twice at very last light.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,898
    I didnt want the extra weight, or the extra thing to go wrong and I think they are a bit of a gimmic

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Jindera Australia
    Posts
    142
    Yes have used an illuminated reticle at last light. On three occasions prior to getting one need it. Sambar at last light are very black and the cross hairs completely disappear on their body. It may be different with lighter coloured species of deer

  15. #15
    Member Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    337
    I have a weaver 1.5-4.5 with illuminated scope, have found target acquisition with the dot great. Agree with Ackley, sometimes a crosshair on a black background hard to pick.


    I hunt in the Bluies and wee black fallow in dim light with dark background...little red dot is all good.

    If it fails scope works as normal, must admit mine is a pia with sometimes switching off due to contacts, lucky it has never been the difference between pulling the trigger or not.

    My 2cents

    Cheers

    Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Leupold VX 6 Scopes
    By 7mmsaum in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 09:37 PM
  2. Fake Leupold scopes
    By 7mmsaum in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 20-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  3. leupold vx-3 cds scopes, are any good?
    By silentscope in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-02-2013, 08:10 PM
  4. 2 scopes for sale: Weaver and Leupold
    By slayer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!