Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapour
  • 1 Post By The Jackel

Thread: Leupold VX2 6-18x40 AO or Leupold AR MOD 6-18x40

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    145

    Leupold VX2 6-18x40 AO or Leupold AR MOD 6-18x40

    I'm looking at a new scope for my Benelli MR1 .223 and am looking at these two options

    VX2 6-18x40mm AO Leupold Optics VX-2 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj. - | Leupold Optics

    or the

    Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm Leupold Optics Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm - | Leupold Optics

    Probably be looking at the Fine Duplex, as most of the shooting is at targets at the 100m range and one day i might start taking out a few rabbits.

    They are similar in price, the AR MOD 1 is set up for 55g .223? but seems to be the same as the VX2 6-18x40mm. is there any real benefit of ether one over the other?

    I'm thinking the VX2 would have a better resale over here in NZ and as I'm playing with different loads other than 55g, this would be a better option?


    What would you seasoned shooters choose?

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    278
    the Mod 1 has distance marks for the 55gr 223 but if your not using that exact load it really is a big guess anyway - The mod 1 is Mil and the vx2 is MOA - which again doesn't really matter unless you have a milldot recticule of some sort - which you said you weren't. The Mod 1 has nicer but exposed turrets which is about the only difference. If you were going to be doing long range stuff more then the easy click-able turrets might be better option. I have a mod 1 on my AR and I like it alot but I also have a mil TMR reticule which only really helps if I run out of adjustment and need to add more mils for hold over or wind - but that kind of range is getting out there for a 223
    The Jackel likes this.
    Being over gunned is under rated.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    the Mod 1 has distance marks for the 55gr 223 but if your not using that exact load it really is a big guess anyway - The mod 1 is Mil and the vx2 is MOA - which again doesn't really matter unless you have a milldot recticule of some sort - which you said you weren't. The Mod 1 has nicer but exposed turrets which is about the only difference. If you were going to be doing long range stuff more then the easy click-able turrets might be better option. I have a mod 1 on my AR and I like it alot but I also have a mil TMR reticule which only really helps if I run out of adjustment and need to add more mils for hold over or wind - but that kind of range is getting out there for a 223

    Thanks Vapour, appreciate your input , for the overview of the differences between the two, looks like the VX2 would be better for me.

    Cheers,

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,892
    adjustable objective scopes suck ass, side focus or dont bother.

    had the vx2 and didnt like it, scrap both of them and get a vx3 4-14x40 cds

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    adjustable objective scopes suck ass, side focus or dont bother.

    had the vx2 and didnt like it, scrap both of them and get a vx3 4-14x40 cds
    Don't have the extra coin at the moment to step up to the VX3

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackel View Post
    Don't have the extra coin at the moment to step up to the VX3
    Well i ended up getting a VX3 6.5-20x40mm EFR with a fine duplex with some ultra high Warne rings locally (Well in NZ), found a little more coin to put towards it, instead of the VX2

    If i don't like it on the MR1 i can always put it on my 22LR

    Can't wait to set it up once it arrives, and most of all give a go on the range.
    veitnamcam likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTS Leupold M4
    By Kiwi Greg in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 07:21 PM
  2. Leupold Mk4 4.5-14 X 50 FS
    By kiwijames in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-12-2012, 03:44 PM
  3. Leupold Vx3 CDS AO or Not???
    By burtonator in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31-10-2012, 09:32 PM
  4. Leupold F/S
    By Dreamer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
  5. Leupold VXI 4-12 LR
    By hillclima in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!