Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Leupold VX3 CDS AO or Not?????

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leupold CDS AO

4 50.00%
  • Leupold CDS Non AO

4 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Leupold Vx3 CDS AO or Not???

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar

Leupold Vx3 CDS AO or Not???

Just wondering what you guys think
    Would you get AO or Not?

4.5-14 x 40
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

AO ?

Re: Leupold Vx3 CDS AO or Not???

Adjustable objextive. I preffer side focus but i dunno not really a loopyan myself

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Me either but I want something lightweight, that I can dial, good glass, and reasonable price.
    Vx3 CDS fits all of that.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Impure Lead Flinger
    My latest burris has AO and at first I was dubious but I grew to like it.... Good place for it really

I had a scope with it at the front. Pain in the Arse i thought. I like the side Adjustment

AO can also be side focus i think. At least some of the manufacturers label it as such. Definitely side focus.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

side focus is miles better.

either is detrimental to snap shooting. Ahhhhhh everything is blurry!! bye bye deer.

either is all most nessasary for long range to remove parallax.

so depends on the rifles application, for a do all hunting rifle I personally wouldnt as it causes more heart ache than anything when a deer 30m away stands just about long enough for you to adjust it before dissipearing.

for a long range rifle id go yes, but side focus rather than AO i personally hate mine and will not buy another

AO is AO side focus is side focus.

one is on the side one is on the end of the scope

Thats why when hunting you have it set to 100.

Matt2308 likes this.

mine works better at infinity rather than one specific range
    but after you have been using it at 5-600 to check out a log 50 times a day, the one time you forget to reset it a deer pops up close

Depends if you want to use 14x up close and personal like sighting in on paper. On lower mags Side Focus or front AO doeon't matter as the actual focus is less effected. For most shooting situations set it at 100m and it will work anyway. I've got 6-18 VX2 with AO and it's clear all the way from 40m to way past 120m on 12x set at 100m so...
    You can see how the parallax works when you set at one distance aim at a point and then move your head. On the right distance parallax setting the cross hairs move less. On something the size of a deer at less than 200m I doubt it would make you miss though?

on my 6.5-20 varix3 you wouldnt be able to make out a deer if the paralax is wrong, let alone heading into dark or under tree cover even on 6.5 power

Thats gay. My superslam is set on 100 unless im dailing the shot. And i can see most things fine out to 300

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Thats gay. My superslam is set on 100 unless im dailing the shot. And i can see most things fine out to 300

I agree, I find it hard to believe you can't see a deer clearly with a VX3 at 6.5 mag at any normal shooting range if the parallax is set at anywhere around 100m upwards. Like I said above we shoot rabbits from 50m to 250m at at least double that magnification and they are clear as unless you set the parallax at something dumb like 30m. All my guns (4) have AO scopes and none are that picky with being clear across a good range unless you use very high mag settings.
    The parallax setting makes no difference to light gathering clarity so if you are saying darkness makes a difference at the lowest mag setting which has the best eye relief and picture in low light anyway then maybe something is wrong with your scope Bill? The only way it could be a factor in seeing stuff is if you are shooting short range at say 30m, then on 6.5x with AO set at 100m it would be blurry but then that mag is probably too much for 30m so you'd still be stuffed seeing what to shoot anyway. But try bush shooting at short range with a scope with no AO adjustment (so probably default set at 100m) and unless you have really low mags to play with it will usually always be blurry so....?