Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Leupold VX3 or VX5

FOX

Leupold VX3 or VX5

In need of some expert advice and guidance. Looking at new scopes for my tikka t3 7mm08. Settled on a new Leupold with the CDS turret. Only issue is I cant make my mind up between the VX-3i 3.5-10 x 40 CDS ZL or the VX5HD 2-10 x 42 ZL which is $600 ish more. Has anyone had some experience with these two scopes, is it worth the extra $600. I'm shooting 450 yards max on occasion

Caretaker
    The VX5 is worth it
    mikee likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The vx3 is a good scope, however The vx5 is a superior scope in every way, brighter crisper and clearer glass, locking dual turn turret system, better mag range etc etc.
    If the budget is tight buy the vx3, it will do everything you need, if you can afford it though the vx5 will do everything a good bit better
    Bagheera, chainsaw, WillB and 1 others like this.

Vx5 forsure

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Iv got both , a vx3 is on a 308 good scope comfortably shoot to 400y or 500 if I’m feeling adventurous but reds are pretty small at that range on 10 power , vx5hd is on a 7mm rm go,s to 15 power, definitely an upgrade on the vx3 but that said in your situation both the scopes you are looking at are 10 power so guess the question is do you want to save $600 , the vx3 is definitely adequate .
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Vx5 forsure

To add i would get the 3-15 ortho its more scope then you need when your looking at the stag at 1500y trying to work out how good he is you will appreciate it. Plus its a far more capable scope and 3x is still good down close

Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Or you could use your binoculars and stalk in if he is what you are looking for.

Just note the 2-10 doesnt have parallax adjustment, glass quality is a massive step up. The 3-15 could come in handy when you're in the tops if.you do any of that hunting. Not alot of price difference either.
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.

FOX
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    To add i would get the 3-15 ortho its more scope then you need when your looking at the stag at 1500y trying to work out how good he is you will appreciate it. Plus its a far more capable scope and 3x is still good down close

yeah I had a look at the 3-15 would be nice to have the parallax adjustment, but for the type of hunting I do doesnt really warrant the extra jump in price. Probably 1 in 5 deer I shoot would be over 300 yards, the rest would be within 20m. I just want to take abit of the guess work (hold over) out of some of those longer shots I get presented with. Just spent 6k on laser eye surgery so magnification isn't an issue , old eagle eyes now.

Cheers for all the advice lads, sounds like it's definitely worth the extra money for the VX-5. Buy Once Cry Once.

VX5 every time I would go 3 x 15

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.

To confuse you a bit more. I use a leupold 4x14 vx3 boone and crockett on my 7mm08. I don't shoot a lot of long distance but have and are happy to take animals out to 450m haven't shot any further. I find it easy to use.
    Zeroed in for 200m next line 300m -400m - 450- 500m .
    Been very happy with this scope and its lasted very well, maybe 12-15yrs old now
    Moa Hunter and AFxxRIxxCA like this.

And another for the VX5, great scopes, and if you choose the 2-10, that is one of the most underrated all round hunting scopes available at a reasonable price.
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.

FOX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    To confuse you a bit more. I use a leupold 4x14 vx3 boone and crockett on my 7mm08. I don't shoot a lot of long distance but have and are happy to take animals out to 450m haven't shot any further. I find it easy to use.
    Zeroed in for 200m next line 300m -400m - 450- 500m .
    Been very happy with this scope and its lasted very well, maybe 12-15yrs old now
    Hi bigbear, I've never had anything to do with the boone and crockett reticle, does it all depend what caliber and ammo you're using on what each line represents etc or can you move the lines or something? What ammo are you using and how accurate is it?

Cole
    I brought a VX5 3-15 recently. It’s the bees knees. You won’t regret buying one if you do. Like having the bit extra zoom over 2-10 as well.
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AFxxRIxxCA View Post
    Hi bigbear, I've never had anything to do with the boone and crockett reticle, does it all depend what caliber and ammo you're using on what each line represents etc or can you move the lines or something? What ammo are you using and how accurate is it?
    I Cant remember all the ins and outs now, when setting it up i used a chrone to work out my bullet speed, then work out my drop. IT can be used with different caibers and lines are fixed.
    I use hornady sst and have found it B&C reliable to 450yards for me so far and every think in between. Bullet seems to hit where i want , just allowing for drift on my part.
    The only thing to be aware of is at 100y you will be shooting over inch and a half high only becomes a problem if you head or neck shoot.
    I think there is info on set up on the leupold web site
    AFxxRIxxCA likes this.