Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: leupold vx5hd 3-15x44

leupold vx5hd 3-15x44

Leupold VX5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2
    I see a lot of people recommending this scope as a long range scope been Dulpex or firedot.
    I have used a leupold 4x14x40 for 15 years and have shot out to 450m and find 14 power ok
    For me i like winding the scope to max power when shooting, if the animal is at 200m its on 14 power (love counting ticks)

Later on in this year i would like to buy a scope for a longer range rig like to be able shoot out to 600m or there about's.
    I like some of the features this scope has zero stop and been able to get a cds once pills are sorted. Also 2nd hand price

I spouse the question is some people are happy to shoot out to four hundred with there 3x9 am not one of them so how do you guys find the 15 power. At times do you wish you had more?

heck I will shoot out to 350 with a fixed 4x
    have done it plenty of times with 3x9
    had a 4-14 and hated it...the extra at top end didnt make up for the lack at bottom end.....lost too much field of view....my fixed 6x scopes have better FOV.
    horses for courses
    you will gain only sweet stuff all going up one x magnification....its all reletive and the new 15 might truthfully give no more zoom than old 14
    veitnamcam, 10-Ring and bigbear like this.

My eyes have a combined age of 144 years.

What I find is that the quality of the glass and light gathering is as important as the magnification. I have shot deer recently out to 450yds with a 2.5-12x50 Swarvo Z5 - it is just so clear. The Z5 3.5-18 is better still.

In any event, I can shoot quite comfortably out to 500 yards with the 12-18 range so long as the glass is good. Over the last couple of years I have ditched any of my 'scopes that ere not bright and clear and with a top end of under 12 power.

My shots range from close to 500 yards.

In my humble opinion I agree with both of the previous comments. I have the leupy 3-15 on my bush rifle and it's a great scope.
    As Micky said the 3x is better than 4x as a lower mag and 1x extra at top probably won't be much better except for clarity with improved glass over what you have.
    If you prefer a more ' up close and personal ' view at longer ranges a 3-18 as tahr mentioned would probably be a better choice.
    bigbear likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I like lower powered scopes, and dont find the need to for anything above about 15X except for my long range rig which wears a 6-24. But I rarely use it beyond 15X anyways. Most of my hunting rifles have 2.5X, or 3X or 1.5-6X and they are perfectly adequate for 5-600 metre shots providing it is good quality glass. I have a VX5 3-15, love it, excellent all round scope. Two years ago I helped out at a long range training weekend and towards the end of the course we all went walkabout and shot the gongs from varying directions and in varying situations rather than off the mound. I deliberately chose to shoot the whole course at 3X just to see if the longer stuff was still achievable - shot every target right out to 868 metres. For me the VX5 is an excellent compromise for nearly all my shooting. Its not too bulky, or heavy. It dials nicely, the turrets are simple. And the glass is good, very good. I wouldn't want to lug anything bigger around on a bush rifle, given the choice I'd go back to a 3 or 4X for the thick stuff.

When you get in to long range shooting, the VX5 will eat 600 metres, hell it'll go to 1000 easy for a half blind old guy like me.
    bigbear and Ftx325 like this.

I can imagine the clarity will be a big improvement compared to my old scope, What will going to a 30mm tube do for it? compared to the old 25mm

Have a look through one. Clarity will be greatly improved. Better Eyebox also. Will be chalk and cheese. I rate the 4-14x40 as a average scope. HD5 is a big step up.
    bigbear likes this.

30mm tubes are to get more elevation into the mechanism. Adds nothing to the optic ability or quality all other things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Have a look through one. Clarity will be greatly improved. Better Eyebox also. Will be chalk and cheese. I rate the 4-14x40 as a average scope. HD5 is a big step up.
    next time am out of town i will find a shop that stocks them and had have a look

And as an aside a lit reticle such as the leupold firedot (just a tiny dot in centre) is excellent in low light on a minimal setting. I struggle to see the crosshairs on a darkened animal in low light. Not so much a fan of the type that light up like an xmas tree as I find those a bit to busy and distract from the sight picture but that's my opinion only.
    10-Ring likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

For me they are the best all round scope you can get , look for a second hand one which make them good value for $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d also look out for vx6 3-18x44, get some very good 2nd hands that come up for sale, and +1 for Swaro 3.5-18
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have the vx5 with windplex reticle and shot out to 1km with it no worries. I do find that windplex reticle a touch thick. In a perfect world I would get a vx6 with 18x and a finer moa or mil reticle but the vx5 is missing out on bugger all. Awesome scope

[ATTACH]159109[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    10-Ring, bigbear and Dusty Fog like this.

This is 15x at 250metres. The schrub is just tall enough to conceal a standing animal.