Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leupold VXR

TJM

Leupold VXR

Any one got any views or experience with the VXR scope ? thinking about changing the vx2 for one, red dot, larger tube supposedly better optics and light gathering properties?

Caretaker
    Definitely better than a VX2, only criticism I have of the VXR was the crosshairs intersection was too thick for effective LR use, but they are not made for LR.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

TJM
    Ok thanks for that. Apart from the slight increase in size and weight they appear to be quite a good choice for the bush

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Definitely better than a VX2, only criticism I have of the VXR was the crosshairs intersection was too thick for effective LR use, but they are not made for LR.
    Yes agree with this, have a VXR-Patrol 3-9 x 40. Not a precision cross hair due to allowance of fibre optic that can be a bit annoying trying to shoot precision groups at rifle range. For practical hunting this is not a factor and almost the opposite on an animal, they are actually great. You get on target very quick in the bush in dark backgrounds much quicker than a fine black cross hair or if animal is running shot you can get on target.
    Have on a Ar at the moment and was popping off claybirds at 200m today 4 out 5 shots in the rain

TJM
    Fitted the VXR and sighted it in at Taupo yesterday. Very pleased with the results with some good grouping with the 243 @100m
    for long range shooting i can see that a more powerful scope would give better results but for short to medium in the bush its looking good

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Fitted the VXR and sighted it in at Taupo yesterday. Very pleased with the results with some good grouping with the 243 @100m
    for long range shooting i can see that a more powerful scope would give better results but for short to medium in the bush its looking good
    What reticle did you get?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I put a VXR Patrol with illuminated TMR reticule on my 30-06. The red dot can be turned off, or set to 8 different intensity brightness levels. The dot is about half moa -- 0.2 milrads so depending on your target bull shape you can hold pretty well central for group tests. Turrets feel a little exposed with no caps but in general I really like the scope and the millradian adjustments. Mine is a 3-9 and I am giving some thought to quitting a ffp 3-12 scope to buy another VXR Patrol or similar for one of my other rifles. The red dot is great in dull conditions or shadowed bush.

TJM
    Firedot duplex

I have one and it has served me well. The laws where I deer hunt allow for harvesting deer 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after. The firedot gives me extra hunting time and I killed two deer and one wild hog that I otherwise would not have taken last season.

TJM if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase from. Used one of these a while ago and thought it was great.