Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LJP

Are Leupolds CDS dial adjustments repeatable?

Figured that there must be a few forum members now with Leupolds scopes & CDS dials. Looks like a nice low profile setup on a shortish range rifle. Theres lots of mixed reviews on the net - how have you found the CDS dials? Are the adjustments repeatable, track well & is the dial easily bumped out of setting?

The one I have seems repeatable but have heard of some that weren't. I've only once had mine bumped & we'd been bush bashing thru some shit south westland stuff with packs on for hours.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Caretaker
    The CDS dials I have used have all been repeatable and reliable. Mates use them all the time and deer are dying.

I only own one scope with a CDS turret and its a VX3 4.5-14-40 on my lightest saum.

Its clear and precise in its adjustments. Perfect for the one gun Hunter.

Does Leupold do CDS with just MOA adjustments.
    By that I mean not sorted for a particular load so can opt to shift onto another rifle without getting a new dial?
    I like the idea of them but I'm not sure my load will stay the same and can't be bothered getting new dials

Caretaker
    I'd say most of the cds turrets in nz are moa calibrated, if not all.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers, I couldnt work it out from the leupold website. I just want it numbered like a conventional target turret rather than a number for every 100 yrds

Thats exactly what i did 22-250. Its reliable and repeatable(mine anyway)

It can be moved around Greg had it happen while in the scabbard on his pack. Im in thew habbit of checking mine after any thick shit but doent seem to move.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hmmm that gives me something to think about... Stand by for yet another what scope thread!

LJP
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The CDS dials I have used have all been repeatable and reliable. Mates use them all the time and deer are dying.

I only own one scope with a CDS turret and its a VX3 4.5-14-40 on my lightest saum.

Its clear and precise in its adjustments. Perfect for the one gun Hunter.
    Did you end up going the LR 30mm side focus paralax version or is the non AO been fine for you & long range shots?

Caretaker
    The non AO has been fine for out to 1000 yrds, from 500 to 1100 there is some parallax movement and as I'm aware it's there I keep my eye as central to the scope centerline as possible. The bigger problem for me with the model 7 is the rifle is so small and light it's a very difficult

Caretaker
    Oops pushed wrong button on phone...

It's a very difficult rifle to shoot accurately at long range as it's so small and light. It needs a firm hold and near perfect trigger control or it moves off target very easily. But for under 600 yrds it's quite easy to use

I've had a couple of emails about this, and I'm afraid I have to disagree strongly with Andrew. There is noticeable parallax beyond 200 yards if your scope is parallax set for about 100 to 150 yards as most are. Yes, you can minimise it by keeping your eye in the centre but to say a non parallax adjustable scope is suitable out to 1000 yards is irresponsible. On large animals you can get away with one to about 500 yards, if you're very careful. It certainly is not ok to go banging away at game animals to 1100 yards with a non parallax adjustable scope, there is too much potential error. Do what you want on paper, but leave the game animals alone at those longer ranges until you have the gear to do them justice.
    Greg

But doesn't maximum parallax amount to about 6'ish cm at 800 m for a scope that is parallax free at 150? (pulling thr numbers out of my faulty memory here...)

Norway, I'm not sure on the theory, but I have tested all sorts of scopes for parallax at a variety of ranges. Just walked out side now and tested a 3.5-10x40 Leupy and a 3.5-10 Swaro Z3. They both had about 13 or 14 inches of parallax at 1000 yards. (34cm at 900m approx) That's too much potential error in my opinion for long range game animal shooting.
    Greg

Agreed.