Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lever Action 22 - Norinco JW21 or Henry 22

Lever Action 22 - Norinco JW21 or Henry 22

Hey guys,
    Christmas is coming up so I'm thinking of making it an excuse to get a new rifle. For a long time I've been wanting a lever action 22. I've got two Ruger 10/22s which are too easy to piss lead away with, and just not always a lot of fun to shoot. Bolt action 22's aren't any fun, but the little lever actions would be a hoot on my little range on the farm.

The question is, do I want to get the Norinco JW21 for $399, or a Henry 22 for $579 (most probably less).

I looked at the Norinco (trying not to judge it for being a cheap Chinese rifle). Suprisingly the fit and finish was quite good... nothing like the JW15's I've seen (then again it seems sometimes you get lucky between batches of the Norinco rifles). Seemed not bad. $399 for a plinking toy, I can live with that.

The Henry however, is a MUCH nicer gun... but it's $580 (haven't asked my local gun store for the price for me yet though, so I imagine I can knock a bit off that).

What do you guys reckon. Has anyone got either of these guns? Is it worth coughing up the extra for an all american rifle as opposed to a cheap knockoff? Keeping in mind it's purely for pissing around after work for a laugh.

Buy a used Browning BL22 or Miroku ML22 or a Marlin 39A or Winchester 9422 if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Buy a used Browning BL22 or Miroku ML22 or a Marlin 39A or Winchester 9422 if you can find one.
    IF you can find one. That's the key there Generally don't like buying used guns.

I'd love the Henry. I only hear good things about them. But I only want to pay Norinco money.

Norinco is Norinco, Henry has a plastic frontsight/barrel band and a cheap zinc-alloy receiver. Usedguns bestguns, get a nicer secondhand rifle rather than a budget new one.
    andyanimal31 likes this.

Take the Henry. Just pay the little extra and have piece of mind its not going to be the unlucky batch of norinco.

i have the norinco it works well whos selling them new these days

Quote Originally Posted by major View Post
    i have the norinco it works well whos selling them new these days
    Gun city have them for $399.

I've got the norinco. I've put a few hundred rounds through. i got it for $300 at a local gun shop down here. its surprised me hot accurate it was. straight out of the box i was hitting 6 inch plates from 60m with no trouble. all the family are able to do that as well. its a hell of a lot of fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Gun city have them for $399.
    So you should be able to get them for 200ish anywhere else?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ill take a second hand sako over a new remington anyday.

i love my jw 21 which is a great copy of a 94 22. got some good weight too it i really like it, accurate as hell too. stuff trying to find a 94 22 thats thrashed when you can just buy a great copy new in saying that i'd love a tidy 94 22 just cause it a 94 22!
    Last edited by turner nz; 29-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.

I saw one of the Norincos today that appeared to have a straight stock, à la Winchester 9422, Henry, etc.

I just called GC out of curiosity as they've got their Christmas sale on tomorrow. $349 for one of the Norinco's. That's bloody tempting I have to say. Even if it is a bit rough.

Couldn't get hold of either of the guys I deal with at Serious Shooters to get a price on one of the Henrys.

If I can haggle down to $500 for a Henry I'll take that. Because I've got a bedding job and threading on another couple of rifles I want done pretty much now I'm not really wanting to part with much dough for this thing.

Guess I'm going to find out tomorrow when I pop into Serious Shooters to see whether or not I'll go for the cheap chinese thing or the nicer yankee one.

bas
    A friend got a JW21 last year and did a quick side by side comparison to my Win 9422 on the NZ Rimfire forums. If you're after a plinker, I would take a punt on the Norinco over the Henry to be honest since I've heard that the barrel heats up quickly and the accuracy drops after that. If you're happy to wait and spend a bit more nice second hand rifles turn up on Trademe often enough.