Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Lever action rifles- thoughts?

Lever action rifles- thoughts?

After our evil black guns were cruelly torn from us I was at a loss as to what to replace my favorite rifle with.
    Being a lefty I have always had problems finding a rifle I liked in a left hand option. All you right-handed mistakes of nature out there may not appreciate how limited the choices are.
    I considered the pump action version of the 'evil one' but thankfully considering the latest round of gun grabbing which I pretty much saw coming I decided not to.
    I found myself gravitating to lever actions.
    I purchased a marlin 30/30 originally and have now had 4 different calibres , only one of which I have moved on.
    I found that other shooters started giving me a bit of flak over the lever actions...think you're John Wayne... primitive action... cowboy gun...we live in the 20th century now.... where's your horse...etc.
    Now I see the funny side and laughed and joked along ,but I have never gotten so much shit before over the type of rifles I carry. I have found them surprisingly accurate , the 45/70 in particular which really surprised me, and good looking rifles which are fun to shoot. I really enjoy them.

So what do yoi lot think about the venerable lever gun?
    born to hunt - forced to work

My first centre fire was a Marlin .44mag.
    Shot my first deer, first goat, and first stoat with that gun. Been in love with the ever since.
    Currently have a suppressed .357 and two .22LR's.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Nothing wrong with a lever action at all but I am a purist and believe that there is no place for an optic anywhere on a lever action. In fact any lever action goes from cool to hideous with a scope on it.
    Spudattack, Ryan, 7.62 and 3 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

My browning bl22 is the most fun you'll have with your pants on! Accurate little rifle too
    Mr Browning and Ftx325 like this.

I’d upload a few pics to really kick this thread off but it isn’t happening

Have a BLR 1973 model .243 Sure the trigger was a bitch but sorted that. 80 odd animals with it not one complaint
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    My first centre fire was a Marlin .44mag.
    Shot my first deer, first goat, and first stoat with that gun. Been in love with the ever since.
    Currently have a suppressed .357 and two .22LR's.

I've got a 357 . The Marlin baby brother to the mighty 45/70 sbl. Horror's of horrors, I have surpressed it and fitted a scope. I know , I should probably be taken out back and knee capped but rest assured I wouldn't have done that if it was a classic model.... probably. I used to carry the Ar as a walk in daytime goat gun in 223, fit the 22bolt kit and then it became a walk out night time possum gun.
    I have started to use the Marlin in the same way. 357 going in , and with the surpressor and 38 it becomes a nice quiet nightime possum slayer. Very handy little rifle that my daughter has really fallen for as well and has claimed as her own.
    Micky Duck and ebee like this.

My lever is the only rifle rifle I bought just because I wanted it, I own others that will do the same job but the lever is just so freaking cool and as you noted a lot of fun to shoot.
    I've certainly never copped any flack for owning it
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Nothing wrong with a lever action at all but I am a purist and believe that there is no place for an optic anywhere on a lever action. In fact any lever action goes from cool to hideous with a scope on it.
    Ummm. You probably would be the one to give me my knee capping then.... two of mine are scoped and the third is fitted with a little pistol red dot....and that one is about to be fitted with the Midwest industries hand guard also.
    I was also going to load some photos but probably a good job I can't... I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving you a meltdown...
    There's a few photos of the 45/70 on my other threads which is the one carrying the pistol dot and about to get the hand guard although that is going on simply to remove the wood to prevent it getting damage as it is my bush gun. That is also half the reason I made the ammo carrier to protect the wood on the stock....and it looks cool and kinda demands respect with those red tipped torpedoes hanging off the side of it.
    I don't know how many of those rounds I've given away to people at the range who have never seen 45/70 before who have been astounded at the sheer size and look of them and practically begged for one to take home...
    Last edited by Ftx325; 22-08-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Micky Duck and ebee like this.

Great guns, a lot of fun factor to be had working the action, bloody hopeless for shooting from a low prone postion.

Unlike @Rushy I have no problem with a scope on them, in fact I think they look better as long as it's not to large a scope. But then @Rushy loves Waikato beer so clearly a man with poor taste ( none )
    Micky Duck, oraki, Got-ya and 6 others like this.

My "hideous" Winchester Big Bore 94 .375 (top eject) with side mounted aim point scope has accounted for a shit load of animals over the 30 odd years I have owned it...it may not look right to the "purists" but in that thick shit supplejack Kaimai country it performs really well...it has survived at least three falls from horse back (any horse can be shot from, not all stand around for a follow up shot), As for how accurate it is, if it kicks up dirt near a Cody can at 50 metres from a shoulder shot that is near enough for me.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Ha ha ha ha I have great taste and my preference for Waikato endorses the fact. I also did not like conventional scopes on an AR15 either but I was OK with a small optic like a red dot on them.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ha ha ha ha I have great taste and my preference for Waikato endorses the fact. I also did not like conventional scopes on an AR15 either but I was OK with a small optic like a red dot on them.
    Waikato, thought it had been commandeered by your Mayor and the overpaid boss of Auckland water for Latte drinkers, nothing left for making the poor excuse for beer.

Any scope on an AR was only for looks as if the first shot missed there were 29 follow up shots to take care of things.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Bought mine 6 months ago.
    Was an itch I’d had for a while.
    While it doesn’t replace my scoped / suppressed rifles, its great fun.
    Looking forward to taking it bush, and chasing sika.
    dannyb and Ftx325 like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

I bought my site name rifle in the early 1970s, still have it and never rectangular flak for it.

But then again it doesn’t look like a ‘cowboy gun’
    Micky Duck and Ftx325 like this.