Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By eamars
  • 1 Post By Gun nut
  • 4 Post By Philipo
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By Friwi

Thread: Lever Actions choices

Van

Lever Actions choices

Gidday,

I have it in my head to put together a lever gun akin to the "Space cowboy" marlin 3030 that has been floating around for a while, basically a Marlin 3030, m-lok forend, suppressed with a rail and 1-6x scope of some sort chucked on top.

My experience mainly lies in building LR bolt guns and have had zero experience shooting levers, so a couple of questions...

Availability wise, only Ken seem to carry a forend for a Marlin 336, although overseas options for Henry exist, does anybody stock these in NZ?
    I do like the idea of a Henry octagonal barrel (I like the aesthetics). Would you look at Marlin or Henry? Why?
    Does the Marlin 336w big loop come tapped for a rail? The other option is the 336 Dark, although is the extra 5-700 worth it for what seems to be a rail, threaded barrel, and some black paint?

Accuracy out of one of these things? I know it wont be at all like the quarter MOA comp rifles I'm used to, but would hope for at least MOA, is this realistic in the real world?

Thoughts appreciated.

I have the marin 336 dark with the mlok forend.

First of all the midwest mlok forend doesn't support the octagonal barrel from marlin. Second you may want to pay the extra to get the marlin 336 dark if you're looking to fit the muzzle brake or suppressor as it already have 5/8x24 threaded.

Speaking of the accuracy I'd say it is fine for the the plinking. I can get about 1-2 MOA for the hornady white tail ammo at 91 meters.
    Van likes this.

Delta Mike has Citadel .357s with mlok handguards.

The Henry octagonal barrels have very little if any taper and while they look cool are very heavy.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....n-44mag-84505/

For the ranges this type of gun is generally used for. 44 mag and 30-30 and pretty interchangeable.

Van
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    I have the marin 336 dark with the mlok forend.

First of all the midwest mlok forend doesn't support the octagonal barrel from marlin. Second you may want to pay the extra to get the marlin 336 dark if you're looking to fit the muzzle brake or suppressor as it already have 5/8x24 threaded.

Speaking of the accuracy I'd say it is fine for the the plinking. I can get about 1-2 MOA for the hornady white tail ammo at 91 meters.
    Cheers, I was meaning a midwest handguard to suit a Henry octagonal barrel. The 336 darks seem to be out of stock everywhere, so the option of pimping out a Henry is on the table.

Anyone who has ever disassembled a levergun for maintenance/cleaning is a big fan of the marlins. Buy right and buy the dark series as it has a thread and a thicker section of barrel up to the thread to provide a good shoulder for the can. All modern marlins are predrilled for scope mounts.
    Van likes this.

Van
    I think finding one will be the trick.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Just my 2cents worth, If you've never used a "Marlin - Winny" type lever than you better practice ya "cowboy" finger flick, I had never really been into levers & even stupidly brought a Marlin, that trigger blade is mighty sharp n narsty when you forget about it while closing the action & the cunt will destroy ya digit, personally I love the basic lever idea but hate those poxy things.

Have had a Browning BLR, while a complicated design, they are a hundred times better as a hunting rifle & come in decent calibers, should of never sold mine it was a neat rifle.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I was selling my Marlin 336 dark here and the rifle is still available. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ont-end-77977/

Unfortunately the buyer need to do the pickup from CHCH as shipping firearm can be a hassle.

If you want to get close to bolt action accuracy you need to move to a modern lever, Most of which are no longer available apart from the BLR. (Sav 99, Win 88, Sako Finnwolf)
    And then you can't get the fancy extras for them.
    Z
    timattalon likes this.

The Henry lever action long range is like a blr with a simplified mecanism.
    Van likes this.

Van
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    I was selling my Marlin 336 dark here and the rifle is still available. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ont-end-77977/

Unfortunately the buyer need to do the pickup from CHCH as shipping firearm can be a hassle.
    Bugger, wrong island.

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Bugger, wrong island.
    I can get it as far as Picton / Blenheim if that helps...
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I could probably get it to Wellington from picton at some stage round the end of the month.