Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Lighter trigger options for Ruger 10/22, what's ou there?

Lighter trigger options for Ruger 10/22, what's ou there?

I've currently got the standard factory trigger and its a PITA!.

I've seen the Volquartsen kit and the Ruger BX trigger as options with lighter triggers. Has anyone had experience with both of these and can make a recommendation? I'm using this for bunnies and Australians - possums and the odd magpie.

I've also seen the Timney and KIDD options but simply can't justify the cost! (I'll end up sleeping in the chook shed!)

What about gunsmithing options? or is a ready made solution like the ones mentioned above a better way to go.

Thoughts?

Used the Volquartsen kit - totally made my 10/22 usable. Given the choice to do it again, I'd go down that path again.
    genesis27 likes this.

I'm a machinist by trade and did my own honing job. Breaks at 3lbs with almost no creep. Cost was approx $0 if you have a nice sharpening stone. Easy enough to do if you go slow.
    genesis27 likes this.

Had VQ, now got Ruger BX, probably going to go for KIDD.
    VQ is MUCH better than factory, BX better again.

Banned
    Volquartsen hammer from Reloaders Supplies up in Auckland.

You don't really need the whole VQ or BX triggers unless you are trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    genesis27 likes this.

I run a full timney replacement which includes the under lever mag release. Found it to be excellent and a better bang for buck over the timney kit.

Ruger® 10/22® Black Housing

mine is bog standard ruger trigger that was crisped up by gundoc, breaks at 2.5 lb and no coarse feel to it at all. the modern 10/22's run a plastic housing and stainless sears etc and take a bit more work but it still can be done in 30-40 minutes. no point blowing big money on aftermarket parts if there is no need.
    Beaker, genesis27 and i41do2 like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    There are 4 different grades of improvements you can get, it depends on how bad (or good) you want it and how much you want to spend.

1. the cheapest is to do your own stoning. plenty of youtube and forum threads about this. but unless you are Mr gundoc you will probably not get a good result, and there is a risk of overdoing it and receive a full auto in the end of the day. I recommend everyone to give this ago just for the kicks.
    2. the second cheapest option is to buy a low end full replacement trigger, or high end trigger parts. There are many of them on the net, around 100 USD or less. the Ruger BX trigger appears to be the king in this class (70 USD or 200 NZD). The other king is KIDD "trigger job" set for 105 USD but it is very hard to buy in NZ.
    3. then there are the high end replacement triggers: VQ, Timney, etc. They are usually around 150 to 200 USD or 400 to 500 NZD . This class offers finer craftsmanship and high quality parts than the previous class. but functionally I think they are no better than Ruger BX. They are not particularly competitive in today's market.
    4. the top sits KIDD 2 stage all by itself, it is very expensive at about 290 USD or ~600 NZD, but its performance is a class of its own, 3oz + 3oz for a semi-auto.
    genesis27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Volquartsen hammer from Reloaders Supplies up in Auckland.

You don't really need the whole VQ or BX triggers unless you are trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    Post upgrade, how much lighter was the trigger pull? I haven't been able to find any info on that? Thnks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Had VQ, now got Ruger BX, probably going to go for KIDD.
    VQ is MUCH better than factory, BX better again.
    Does the BX come with an auto bolt release? Or can the original be replaced with one?

Quote Originally Posted by genesis27 View Post
    Post upgrade, how much lighter was the trigger pull? I haven't been able to find any info on that? Thnks
    Dickloads.
    6.6lb to 2.7lb, according to the scales in the gun shop.
    Smoothed out over time too.
    Best entry step you can do. Think I have a VQ hammer etc in my parts box from when I replaced the VQ hammer with the full Ruger BX trigger assembly.
    Come to think of it, I think I've 2 plastic and 1 alloy 10/22 trigger units in the parts box too!
    Might be time to try Ultimitsu's suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by genesis27 View Post
    Does the BX come with an auto bolt release? Or can the original be replaced with one?
    all you need is a small file to convert the bolt release, easy as !!
    Gerbs and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Might be time to try Ultimitsu's suggestion
    You know the saying, cry once.
    Gerbs likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    You know the saying, cry once.
    I'd cry too, if I spent more for a new trigger than I spent on the rifle in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    I'd cry too, if I spent more for a new trigger than I spent on the rifle in the first place.
    That is why you buy a full Kidd