Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

lights and light mounting options for AR15s

Hi guys Im tossing up which light and how to mount it on my ar

currently Im looking at the Fenix tk22 mounted in a ring or something either on a piece of rail I tap on to my freefloat hand gard
    or on to a front side style mount like this
    TradeMe.co.nz - fenix tk22 for sale, New Zealand

this is the torch

TradeMe.co.nz - fenix tk22 for sale, New Zealand

Are there better/smaller more powerful options out there?

what are you guys running on your own set ups?

I just use a modified 501 torch, with a single mode R2, smooth reflector and aspheric lens mounted with a standard ring to either scope or barrel on the 22.

This gives a very intense narrow beam that nicely lights up the cross hairs area of the scope and can identify animals out to 3-400m and on a dark night will light up a hillside at 5-600m. The big advantage I find is I get 4 hours out of a single 2400mAH 18650 battery. Most of the others use a similar setup but use a Maxtoch SN6X-2 or two. Has a similar range to mine but lights up a much bigger area, and lasts for just shy of 2 hours on a pair of 3000mAH 18650's. You would get two of the Maxtoch's for the price of one Finex.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

what brand and price range is that working in? and where can I read more about it?
    Id rather not go up top if I can avoid it as I rekin it makes the rifle that is allready too tall - taller

If off the scope I have the torches mounted either side of the scope so not adding to height.

I chop the figure 8 and mount the bit with the weaver rail on the scope. Universal Gun Mount with Hex Wrench - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Torches available through aliexpress MAXTOCH 10W CREE Xml T6 1000LM 18650 Superbright LED Hunting Flashlight/Torch(SN6X 2),MAXTRAC long shooting beam, Free shipping-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com

Mudgripz is just bringing in a few at a really good price, they were meant to be sent Monday this week. I've finally ordered one to replace the 100W halogen spotlight as it is lighter and brighter.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

How robust are they? and are they very weighty?

Iv currently got a P14 and thats abit large for my liking.

This page has them at 262g, there are other specs as well. A lot are now selling under the Maxtrac brand name that mudgripz suggested over a couple of other flowery names that they were contemplating. There are a few other torches on the market now that we have spec'd for them under the new name. One is a slightly lighter, but lower powered, version of the SN6X-2.

Maxtoch Sn6x-2 10w 1000lm 18650 Rechargeable Search Aluminum Cree Led Hunting Light - Buy Hunting Light,Led Hunting Light,Cree Led Hunting Light Product on Alibaba.com

so does mudgripz have some of these in the country?

Id be quite keen to give one a go

All pre-booked and paid foe by our team members. I can send mine to you when it arrives if you like. What size scope tube do you have? Can get the figure 8's in 1" and 30mm. Do you have charger and batteries?

No on the battery and charger suituation, Im still running AA's in the p14
    all bar one I run 25mm scope tubes.

jeez thats bloody generous of ya

The 18650's have a much greater energy density and generally have the advantage of protection circuitry built in. I hound that with all AA and AAA torches you'd loose one battery through over discharge (sent negative) every couple of runs due to differing capacities.

I'll organize some gear for you.

jeez mate you're a bloody legend

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I need a rail mount for a 19mm torch tube, Fenix 44 IIRC
    Cant seem to find a decent one anywehre..

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I need a rail mount for a 19mm torch tube, Fenix 44 IIRC
    Cant seem to find a decent one anywehre..
    I've used a couple of wraps of bike inner tube round the torch in rings. Worked really well and gave a little shock resistance.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

lights and light mounting options for AR15s

I did try rubber in another mount. Wasn't that happy with it.
    Thought of turning up a plastic split ring for it but easier to get proper mount if I can find one

Probably better off getting a 1" diameter torch. They're pretty cheap and generally perform better than the Fenix and Led Lensar.