Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lightweight Low Power Optics

Lightweight Low Power Optics

Anyone have any suggestions for options for these? I found a BLR Takedown I'd like to chuck a low power optic still capable if I needed for a 4-500 odd yard shot if required but will be shot 90% inside 200. Was thinking of a VX3i in 1.5-5 or 2.5-8. I have a 3.5-10x40 that will go on to it to start but thinking of other options. Rifle is a lever so preferably nothing too tactical. I have an atibal 1-8x24 but the things pretty tactical looking and weighty. I've also thought about maybe going to a VX5.
    Also being a takedown a short scope benefits by not overhanging the action too much when taken down.

Anyone with any of the higher contending options in the Canterbury area Id buy a box of beers to have a gander through it.

The Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 is the ducks nuts for this sort of thing I reckon. I picked one up second hand for $200 recently (thats the only way you'll get one as they are not longer made)
    Stocky likes this.

Looked through a Vixen at Reloaders yesterday and very impressed with glass for the $. Nice and light too
    Stocky likes this.

well now...I did own one,the old M8 4X suited it to a T...... brother has one and has used it for 30 years,it wears a 2x7 loopy...think they are about 32mm the other one wears a 1-5 pig plex loopy and its awesome too......sat at my lookout spot last weekend and my wee 4x is plenty enough for the 300-350yards there..... you can make that 500 yard shot with lesser power but you will struggle to make that quick running shot with scope thats too powerful or sits too high.....
    Moa Hunter and Stocky like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have several Loopys, 1-4 x 20, 2-7 x 33, 2.5-8 x 36, 3-9 x 40. My lever action wears the 1-4, but my favoured scope is the 2.5-8. I usually find I set the 1-4 on about 2.5-3 magnification bush stalking anyway.
    Bill999, mikee, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Bushnell make (made?) a lovely little 2 to 7 have one on a Browning semi auto or a Burris if you can find one (2 to 8 on my 308)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

have a mate struggling with the same dilemma right now for his BLR tossing up between a 1.5-5 and a 2-7 hes a loopy fanboy too so watching this thread with interest for him
    Stocky likes this.

Leupy 2-7 takes a lot of beating
    BSA likes this.

Kahles 1.5 - 6, nice classic scope, excellent glass, very usable. Not sure where you're find one tho, they dont come up for sale very often.
    Moa Hunter and Stocky like this.

2-7 vxr would be my pic if you could deal with the 30mm tube
    2.5-8 vx3s are a great light option as are the 3.5-10x40
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    have a mate struggling with the same dilemma right now for his BLR tossing up between a 1.5-5 and a 2-7 hes a loopy fanboy too so watching this thread with interest for him
    I don't see any new 2-7s I would use currently from leupold. Maybe some of the older offerings suited better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Yes am leaning towards the scopes that are short and without much objective due to breakdown. I already own a few 3.5-10s so struggling to warrant a 2.5-8 as they are so similar and don't come up for sale often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    The vxrs look a better option than I thought. I figured with the 30mm tube they might weigh a tonne but pretty bloody good. Eye box should be great just need to find one.

Not much point going below 2-ish power if you have a supressor as it blocks out much of the view at full-wide. I really like the look and balance of straight tube scopes such as the vx-r 1.25-4 and vx3 1.5-5 but find i seldom have them on the widest setting.
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rossm-96 View Post
    Not much point going below 2-ish power if you have a supressor as it blocks out much of the view at full-wide. I really like the look and balance of straight tube scopes such as the vx-r 1.25-4 and vx3 1.5-5 but find i seldom have them on the widest setting.
    That's a good point thanks for that.