Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Fisherman
  • 2 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By 25/08IMP
  • 3 Post By Philipo

Thread: Lightweight scope midrange for old eyes...

Lightweight scope midrange for old eyes...

Its been a long road getting my Husqvarna 1640, 6.5x55 back on the road...
    I didn't have a useable stock so I built this one and it comes in at 6.6 pounds without the scope and suppressor...

This will be my allrounder out to say 450 yards using the 147eldm at pretty conservative velocities...Its definitely a 3/4 moa rifle and probably better with a user friendly stock and maybe a a speedlock firing pin and spring in the future...

I like this HD5 3-15 but I could lose 180 grams with a VX31 3.5-10x40 or 220gm 2.5-8x36 and both numbers are plenty for 450 yards...
    I just wondered how people think those scopes will go in fading light at 400 yards with 60 year old eyes...

The other debate is whether to chop a couple on inches off the barrel to make it a bit more balanced...Its 20" now but 18 inches might be better but would probably push me down to 2550fps...its not in original condition buts its hard to cut a 50plus year old barrel...

Cheers...Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ground Control and bing like this.

I can't rate the vx3i 3.5-10x40 highly enough, more than enough magnification for that range, dials reliably, to my eyes and my father who is also 60 no dramas shooting first or last light. I personally would leave the barrel alone, you are not saving much weight wise and not worth the velocity loss imo.
    Fisherman and Friwi like this.

I’d be sticking with the HD5 - what reticle ? and would not chop the barrel any shorter on a Swede

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I’d be sticking with the HD5 - what reticle ? and would not chop the barrel any shorter on a Swede
    Its just duplex...good solid scope...dials really well and throws water off the lenses which I expect the VX3i will as well...just that this was the original lightweight rifle really...
    What distance would you shoot things with this setup chainsaw?...I don't feel confident in the 6.5 at 2600fps much past 400 yards...

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Its been a long road getting my Husqvarna 1640, 6.5x55 back on the road...
    I didn't have a useable stock so I built this one and it comes in at 6.6 pounds without the scope and suppressor...

This will be my allrounder out to say 450 yards using the 147eldm at pretty conservative velocities...Its definitely a 3/4 moa rifle and probably better with a user friendly stock and maybe a a speedlock firing pin and spring in the future...

I like this HD5 3-15 but I could lose 180 grams with a VX31 3.5-10x40 or 220gm 2.5-8x36 and both numbers are plenty for 450 yards...
    I just wondered how people think those scopes will go in fading light at 400 yards with 60 year old eyes...

The other debate is whether to chop a couple on inches off the barrel to make it a bit more balanced...Its 20" now but 18 inches might be better but would probably push me down to 2550fps...its not in original condition buts its hard to cut a 50plus year old barrel...

Cheers...Chris
    My mate same age uses a vx3i and struggles with the eye relief as it is very touchy.
    He doesn't have the issue with the vx5 of mine .

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Fisherman likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    While the VX3i is a good scope ( reasonably good glass & nice & light ) the VX5 is a step above ( good usable zoom range 3-15, good reticle choices, great zero stop turret, great glass & eye piece ) they are a little bigger & heavier than a vx3 & you'll have to get some 30mm rings, but In my opinion that's out weighed by their performance advantages.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

If you want a bit of extra speed my 1640 shot the Swift 130 Scirriocos really well, a premium hunting bullet and very slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    If you want a bit of extra speed my 1640 shot the Swift 130 Scirriocos really well, a premium hunting bullet and very slippery.
    I'll have a look...the main driver of low velocities is that some long dead craftsman build this thing about the day my wife was born, seems sad to fuck it up chasing velocity (I shoot a lot when I get time)...I'm really so much better off using the Tikka...even tho it does nothing this old girl wont.

VX 5 HD. Excellent low light for the price. Good size all purpose scope. Lifetime warranty like most things these days. Own 2. Would suggest a normal (fine) cross hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk