Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Lithgow centerfire LA102

Anyone taken the plunge on one of these?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes - I bought a used "walnut" stocked example in 308. I don't know if I got lucky on not but mine shoots extraordinarily well, consistently round 1/3 MOA, which considering the relatively light weight is pretty good for a un-altered factory rifle.

I've probably put close to 500 rounds through mine, and its a very nice rifle to shoot, I don't know why, but I think it has a very mild recoil impulse that makes it easy to shoot long strings without discomfort. The barrel doesn't seem too "walk" with the 10-12 shot strings I usually shoot (FTR).

I recently won our local 500 yard egg shoot with a 4th shot hit on my egg (no sighters or markers allowed, you have to trust your dial and rifle implicitly) using the Lithgow - stoked !!

Downsides . . . its too light for a serious target rifle (I haven't been ale to shoot any possibles with this rifle, there is always a dropped shot), and the barrel is only 22", which means you are limited to fairly modest velocities

Another thing - I got mine to use as a basis for a 6mm Crudmore build, but didn't have the heart to take a rifle that shot so well to bits AND they are constructed quite differently (a unique recoil lug/barrel shank arrangement), so require quite a different approach to rebarrel, any gunsmith would need to be "on their metal" to undertake a rebarrel

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Was thinking, as you do when your locked up, if it was worth selling my 233 tikka T3X 1-8 and getting the 1-9 Lithgow
    or even just getting the laminate one in 308 or 6.5, so thanks tentman is seems most accuracy reports I have read aren't an exaggeration if yours is giving you this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?