Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Long range guns

Long range guns

Hey guys,

Early next year I want to get me a long range rifle compared to my 223. Maybe even just use it in the roar so I have more confidence with the bigger animals going down. Maybe even Thar/Chamois in the future if I head down the line.

Not sure what calibre would be sufficient as I've never hunted them high country species. I have a preference for the Browning X-bolt or Tikka T3 Forrest as they have traditional wooden stocks which I like in different calibres, but if there's something similar then that will do to. Don't want to spend more than 1,800-2k. Hopefully someone here with more experience can point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by Rusky; 15-11-2014 at 09:06 PM.

I see your from auckland how about a t3 in 7mm08 or 7mm rem mag with a hardy suppressor and burris eliminator scope
    sako75 likes this.

Yep I've been looking at exactly those options scoped. Would a 270 not have enough grunt? Whats the deal with suppressors as i've never had one. They heavy and a bitch to carry? I assume your ears love you for it though. Scope would be another topic all on its own I guess but the burris or Leica are my preference.

270 might be fine but have no personal experience with the cal though s mate runs 150 bergers in his, but definition of long range for me is more like 600 metres max.byou dont need a magnum if you use good bullets, can place your shot and preferably dial

Suppressor adds 300 gram as an example and can be kept in the pack till needed

I wouldn't bother with a suppressor on a tops rifle.
    suppress the 223 instead.
    Pretty much any of the long action calibers will do what you want, magmum cals will stretch your effective range a bit but it really comes down to how far you can place your shot.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a suppressor on a tops rifle.
    suppress the 223 instead.
    Pretty much any of the long action calibers will do what you want, magmum cals will stretch your effective range a bit but it really comes down to how far you can place your shot.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

Yep, mine worked ok yesterday shooting gongs (we wont mention the standing or sitting shots though) from the results it seems I keep running into "bulletproof" deer

In the distant past I used a 270 and then a 25/06 on Chamois and Thar. Both worked. As long as you are comfortable with shooting it recoil wise you will be fine.

I had a 270 once I was scared off. I swear I used to shut both eyes and yank the trigger all while flinching hugely but the 270 I replaced it with was fine, poor stock design I think
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    I see your from auckland how about a t3 in 7mm08 or 7mm rem mag with a hardy suppressor and burris eliminator scope
    Eliminate the Eliminator and your getting there. There is a Zeiss HD5 kicking around here somewhere but could blow your budget (but no by much).
    Next step up from the 223 would be something off an 08 or 06 case IMO or the x55
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Hey guys,

Early next year I want to get me a long range rifle compared to my 223. Maybe even just use it in the roar so I have more confidence with the bigger animals going down. Maybe even Thar/Chamois in the future if I head down the line.

Not sure what calibre would be sufficient as I've never hunted them high country species. I have a preference for the Browning X-bolt or Tikka T3 Forrest as they have traditional wooden stocks which I like in different calibres, but if there's something similar then that will do to. Don't want to spend more than 1,800-2k. Hopefully someone here with more experience can point me in the right direction.
    You shouldn't have to much of an issue for that kind of money, but the most time and effort should be going into ammo and shooting it heap in the field.

I run a Remington Model 700 (Browning or Tikka are fine too) in 270WSM - Cost around NZ$1,100
    Swap the shitty plastic stock out for a B&C or Boyd (timber is heavier but cheap) - Cost NZ$340 for the B&C or NZ$180 for the Boyd (ex US)
    Running a Burris C4 4.5-14x42. Found this very reliable and the glass is good enough(you dont need the very best, regardless of what marketing there is) - Cost me NZ$420 (ex US again)
    Removal-able Muzzle Brake. I have a Quadtramax from Dean Maisey - Cost NZ$180 plus fitting
    Trigger job or replacement trigger
    Ammo. Load you own of course for consistency and fine tuning. I run a 150gn Berger Hunting VLD at 3,160fps

Can shoot 12" steel gongs at 1,000 yards and many tahr and deer out to 700 yards.

Scouser, Rusky, mayfly and 2 others like this.

Good feedback so far and its got me thinking. Scopes I'd be importing as they are ridiculously expensive in NZ, almost double what you'd pay for in the states. Edit: Leica was meant to be Leupold above. Got science and hunting mixed up

Awesome shooting Uplandstalker.

leica is good for hunting too.. apparently
    Uplandstalker and Rusky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Good feedback so far and its got me thinking. Scopes I'd be importing as they are ridiculously expensive in NZ, almost double what you'd pay for in the states. Edit: Leica was meant to be Leupold above. Got science and hunting mixed up

Awesome shooting Uplandstalker.
    Talk to Jaret Owens from Alaska Guide Creations about scopes. He does good deals on Leica, Vortex, Zeiss and Swarovski and will ship all but the Swarovski to NZ. I travel a bit for work and manage to pick up most of my need while over there.

270 or a 6.5 will be plenty of rifle for long range.
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Yep, mine worked ok yesterday shooting gongs (we wont mention the standing or sitting shots though) from the results it seems I keep running into "bulletproof" deer

In the distant past I used a 270 and then a 25/06 on Chamois and Thar. Both worked. As long as you are comfortable with shooting it recoil wise you will be fine.

I had a 270 once I was scared off. I swear I used to shut both eyes and yank the trigger all while flinching hugely but the 270 I replaced it with was fine, poor stock design I think
    I had the same thing my first .270 was a brno zkk600 it booted the shit out of me and I got rid of it smartly and vowed to never touch another .270 again until i had to sight in two rifles in .270 one was a marlin X7 and the other was a ruger hawkeye all weather and they were nowhere as bad as that brno which got my trust back in using the .270. one day I will get to have a ruger but for now the remington will have to do.
    Rusky likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Great shooting Uplandstalker ....mint
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    .270 T3 forrest if you want wood, optilock rings to make sure the scope is low enough on the rifle, whack a limbsaver on it an grab an R6 or RZ6 reticle Zeiss for under 1K and youll be home and hosed to 600 odd.

run a 130-140 g SST projectile which is versatile for tops and close range cant go wrong.

if the recoil is giving you bother keep practicing or failing that suppress it (bush stalking a bit of inaccurate kick is ok and unlikely youll be letting that many rounds off for the tops you may want to suppress as the distances will mean more error if too much flinch/kick. plus on tops being comfortable is good as you may have more chance for a couple of shots

a mean setup and around the $2k or under mark - buy a second hand rifle and save more to spend on scope. nothing wrong with second hand goods
    Addicted to gun powder