Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: long range scope without dial up

Steved

long range scope without dial up

Just looking at upgrading my Redfield varmint 6-18 with ballistic reticle on my 300WM to something a bit nicer with a lower bottom end and possibly a higher top end.
    I bush stalk on claggy days and tops on nice days down the south island at least once a year, with the 6-18 I comfortably shoot out to 650 yards.
    I have hunted with a dial up scope once and will never do it again, ended up rubbing it on my shorts while bush stalking and was a full rotation out when I went to shoot a deer.
    any recommendations? finding it hard to find a long range scope without dial up

Caretaker
    Leupold with Zero Lock

Name:  2D9C3800-FEE4-4216-8277-C61E8B90F288.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  8A9D5ED5-4FCC-403C-AAE2-E19E35B36579.jpeg
Views: 536
Size:  41.5 KB
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 13-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.
    cb14, mikee, 25/08IMP and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Probably because dialing is the proper way to shoot at long range. Options include capped turrets (the Sightron SIII or STAC series have these and are available in a 6-24 model thats quite nice.), a zero stop or lock which many options have that lock the turret or mean you can always dial back to zero very quick, the leupold style are some of the best.
    BSA270 likes this.

There are lots of scopes available with capped or locking turrets.
    What price range are you looking in?

Steved
    happy to go around the $1500 could push it out to 2k if the low end is down to say 3 power. maybe I was looking at it wrong on the gun city website, should my search include the words "capped turrets"?

most scopes that dial in that price range will not do a full rotation on your shorts . mine is very firm as others have said the Leupold has a button very nice feature I no theirs a vx3hd now in that price range but magnification may be more like 14 at top end ample to 650 . a second hand shv is capped and in that bracket Bushnell has some really good reticles and Zeiss is another a V4 4-16 with a hold over reticle might fit the bill very well

Check out the hunters corner on FB he's got some awesome priced Burris HD coming value for money you will struggle to find better

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

i dont think you can call any scope "long range" without dial up, buy a leupold scope with zerostop or a burris with push pull locking turrets

Burris signature hd 3-15. Turrets can only be turned by lifting them up. Not fair on animals by half arsing long range shots without being bang on. Running off after a non fatal is pretty lame for everyone involved

The Zeiss is the same with turrets pull up
    superdiver likes this.

I really like my sightron stac so far! The 4-20x50 is great value for money. It has capped turrets so you don’t have to worry about bumping them, and there are videos on YouTube on how to make a zero stop by adding washers to the turret. It’s not a real zero stop, but you can get it within a few clicks of your zero. I also have a leupold vx5 with the zero lock turret. Great scope and plenty of magnification for 650 yards.
    Stocky likes this.

Can you get the magnification range you want with a graduated reticle?
    I agree with not making half ass shots but if you can learn one you can learn the other.
    Problem is if you look at like Swarovski 3-18 it's gonna be out of budget.

I suggest you see what Meopta are offering in their range. I think the current models might have something

Have you considered a mil or moa xmas tree style reticle or even a "simple" mil or a bdc. They are remarkably effective and do away with the twiddling of the knobs in most cases.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Steved
    Do all the Ziess have the lock or just some of them? looks like the only loopys that have the zero lock are the HD5, I was extremely confident with my ballistic reticle. shot milk bottles at any range from 0-700 first shot and took 2 chamois at 600 yards no problems. lost confidence in the old redfield after I fell in a river and gave it a small ding and when i went to the range it was 12" high and 4" right at 100. going to fiordland in a few weeks and dont want to miss a once in a lifetime animal because of my gear. any thoughts on the Burris Eliminator 3? looks like i can get one of those 2nd hand for 2k?

Can you get a similar Redfield?
    I know what the Burris Eliminator is but I'm not sold on the idea. I would prefer a traditional type scope.
    Sounds like you had success with the holdover reticle previously