Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What power

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-4 power

14 41.18%
  • 2-7 power

15 44.12%
  • other ?

5 14.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Low power scopes.....recomendations

Low power scopes.....recomendations

Need a new scope and looking at something low power. Well lower than the 3-9 which I currently have to be used mainly in the bush / small clearings etc probably 0-200 yards.
    All things being equal which do you prefer ? Please poll and comments / recommendations apprecaited.
    Last edited by Pete_D; 15-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.

res
    Im enjoying 1-8 power scopes these days
    Pete_D likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

The first thing I think of when someone mentions low power scope is a fixed power 2 , 3 or 4 power scope , not a variable.
    I shot a lot of things for a lot of years with a fixed 4 power leupold scope , looking back on it now I dont think I was ever handicapped by its magnification. Low light clarity is probably the only thing that my current scopes are a lot better at and even then the old leupold wasnt to bad .

Ken
    Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

1-4 can be used for shooting both eyes open which can be an advantage on a moving target. I found on my 223 baikal a red dot with a 2 moa dot was fine out to 200 on goats. Its gone now and a 762x39 one replaced it and know what? a 2 moa red dot is still fine out to 200. Different zero though.
    Pete_D and csmiffy like this.

I use a Weaver 3x, 2 Weaver 2.5x, and 2 Kahles 1.5-6. All are excellent scopes, particularly the Kahles. But have shot to 300 on bunnies with the Weavers, and 600 on gongs. You can still shoot a long ways with lower powered scopes.
    shooternz and Pete_D like this.

I really really like the Leupold VX6 2-12 with a firedot reticle, works very well close range, the firedot is very easy to pick up.
    12x magnification may be a bit wasted if you only hunt 0-200m, could look at a VX5hd 2-10 instead.
    chainsaw and Pete_D like this.

I have a 2-12 on my "do all" 243 that works great

usually i dont take it to 2 power. I leave it on 3 or 4
    Honestly if you have a 3-9 on there at the moment you will gain very little going to 2 power
    I dont shoot with both eyes open tho
    Pete_D likes this.

loopy 1.5x5
    great little scope. Handles the recoil from my 416 ok too.
    Husky1600, shooternz and Pete_D like this.

Either would be fine however it's good to have the x1 option for up close. X4 power is more than enough for 200m.
    Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a 1-4x20 on one rifle, a 2-7x33 on another (rifle had a fixed power 2.5x20 until earlier this year), a 3-9x40 on another and a 3-9x32 on another.
    For a general all rounder I would go for the 2-7x33, but for the type of hunting you are doing I would go for the 1-4. The 2.5 I had on the 308 was fine for 200m shots and the 1-4 easily handles that and more. You may find you rarely have it on 1x though.
    The 2-7 is not much different to a 3-9, the main reason I went with that option was the smaller objective to keep scope size down as I was used to the small 2.5x20 that had been on that rifle for 26 years.
    6x47 and Pete_D like this.

I'm using a 1-4x20 on my lever rifle. have previously used a 2-8x32.
    aim was bush shooting moving targets and goat or larger game out to 300 mtr.
    I would love a good quality euro type 1-6 or 1-8x30 but was not ready to spend that sort of money.
    I would rather have less magnification and better quality glass. Zq
    with good glass i can make out details that I cant see with higher magnification on cheaper glass.
    shooternz and Pete_D like this.

Thanks guys for your input, I've never looked through a 1-4 but my gut feeling is that would suit us best.
    I have been looking at a few options online and I am intriged by the illuminated reticle, seems like a good idea for low light in the bush, especially just a dot in the cross hairs. Anyone use one ?
    The only down side is most are 30mm tubes and that would mean new scope rings. Cheers

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Thanks guys for your input, I've never looked through a 1-4 but my gut feeling is that would suit us best.
    I have been looking at a few options online and I am intriged by the illuminated reticle, seems like a good idea for low light in the bush, especially just a dot in the cross hairs. Anyone use one ?
    The only down side is most are 30mm tubes and that would mean new scope rings. Cheers
    Low power scopes and illumantaion go together like beer and more beer- eg it is just the way it should be
    Pete_D likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I have a Leupold vx2 1-4 power only couple years old I might part with,pm me if interested.

I was impressed with the new Vortex PST 1-6. Cannot comment on it's illumination though. The Razor 1-6 is nice but very big and heavy.

I have heard anecdotally that the Burris RT6 is a good budget low power scope. Comments are that it is much nicer for the money than the Vortex Strike Eagles and Primary Arms LPVO's. I was seriously looking at grabbing one off Optics Zone but snagged a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 for about the same money.