Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: M1 Garand

M1 Garand

I'm just wanting to know what class a garand is.
    legally I don't think it would fit the definition of an MSSA as it doesn't have a magazine that holds more than 7 rounds.

cheers guys
    I've always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

If it can hold more than 7 then its an MSSA. Mag does not need to be detachable. For example a semi auto shotgun that can hold more than 7 in its tube would also be an MSSA.

...Bayonet Lug = E-cat.
    ChrisW likes this.

It is only the bayonet lug that makes it an MSSA. Cut that off and it is A category.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    It is only the bayonet lug that makes it an MSSA. Cut that off and it is A category.
    Im not really familiar with Garands - but I thought it can hold 8? If so, why would it not be an E-cat?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Im not really familiar with Garands - but I thought it can hold 8? If so, why would it not be an E-cat?
    If you count everything that holds 1 extra in the chamber
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

As I said im not really familiar with Garands, but I did a quick google search which suggested the stripper clips take 8 rounds.
    So if the stripper clip can take 8, then you put it in, chamber a round and it becomes 7 + 1?
    Confused.

The police don't bother making the +1 argument. They just call an 8 shot therefore it's E-cat to them.

The 8 shot clip is inserted into the rifle and the bolt clicks in behind the top round. A gentle nudge with the heel of your hand and bolt closes, stripping the top round off the clip and into the breech.
    ChrisW likes this.

Ah ok, so the grey area is that you cant really keep the action open with the full 8 rounds in it, so as soon as you put it in you have 7 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
    Interesting.

The key issue to them is that rifle is capable of having 8 rounds in it. But don't bother trying to tell your local arms officer the same thing applies to other 7-shot mag semi-autos...you run the risk of hurting their feelings...
    ChrisW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Ah ok, so the grey area is that you cant really keep the action open with the full 8 rounds in it, so as soon as you put it in you have 7 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
    Interesting.
    Just to be clear- you can run around with the bolt behind the 8th round. It's just not advisable/safe as the slightest jolt will send the bolt forward.
    Name:  IMG_4157.JPG
Views: 1677
Size:  1.40 MB
    Tikka7mm08 and ChrisW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    DO NOT CUT THAT OFF. please.
    Use enough gun

Cheers for the all the feedback guys, I had completely forgotten about the lug. as for the mag capacity I do know you can get 5 round clips for it
    I've always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

I don't think 5 round clips would make it legal as it can still hold 8 internally. That's like only loading 5 rounds in a 10 round mag, or only loading 5 rounds into a 10 round shotgun tube.
    You would need to restrict the actual internal capacity of what it can hold, not just use 5 round stripper clips or only load 5 rounds into your 8 round gun.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 05-02-2018 at 10:07 PM.

The bolt is actually designed to shut automatically when a clip is inserted, in practice it is 50/50 whether it does. If you wanted to A cat a particular one, I would suggest finding a spare gas cylinder and lopping part of the bayonet lug off and having it fitted to the rifle. As for mag capacity...well I don't know, 5 round clips maybe. Who the fuck would know.