Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: M20P problem

M20P problem

Ok, so I pulled my trusty Stirling apart for a coat of paint, which went very well. EXCEPT. When taking the safety latch off my thumb was a little bit too far back, which allowed the safety latch bearing to achieve low orbit, probably never to be seen again. So what I'm after is either:

-If someone has one handy, if they are brave enough to pull theirs off and measure the diameter of the bearing so I can get another one, or

-If someone has an inoperable rifle I can buy the bearing out of.

Any help would be appreciated, even somewhere in Hamilton that would sell me one approx. 3mm bearing.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Azumith employ the "grid search with magnet" method for recovery.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

This is another option. I think I have an extendable magnet, could do my best blind man impression.

Ball bearing ?? If so you used to be to purchase from SKF.. Probably only want your left ball in exchange for one ha ha .. Good job you dont need two of them... Farrells Ham may be helpful as well ...

Yeah it's a tiny 2-3mm ball bearing that sits on top of a tiny spring. The spring pushes the bearing into one of two indents on the safety, either locking it forward or backwards.

Cheers for the leads Happy, I almost ordered one off an American site, until I saw the shipping for a $2.55 bearing was $43 :/

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Yeah it's a tiny 2-3mm ball bearing that sits on top of a tiny spring. The spring pushes the bearing into one of two indents on the safety, either locking it forward or backwards.

Cheers for the leads Happy, I almost ordered one off an American site, until I saw the shipping for a $2.55 bearing was $43 :/
    Another option would be try a bike shop. They have lots of sizes. I probably have a few here too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

That's another good idea. I just slapped the verniers on the spring itself and got an OD of 2.91, so it must be a 3mm bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    That's another good idea. I just slapped the verniers on the spring itself and got an OD of 2.91, so it must be a 3mm bearing.
    Carefully pop allen keys into the hole and find the biggest one that fits. I have heaps of about 3.8mm/0.15" ball bearings that may work.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

P38
    Cameron Sports is the importer for Stirling Rifles and stocks all these parts.
    Cameron Sports Imports

These Rifles are manufactured by Armscor

I recently had to purchase the trigger assembly due to me removing it due to a broken trigger.
    I placed all the other parts in a safe place while I waited for the trigger to arrive.
    Once I got the trigger I could not find the safe place I put all the other parts in so had to reorder these..... and Yes two days after these parts arrived I remembered where the safe place was and retireved the original parts.

Heres a link to the Manual which has a parts list.
    Safety Latch Bearing is part #2039
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/armscor_20.pdf

Cheers
    Pete

That's quite a handy page P38. Can I email Cameron Sports directly about it? I saw earlier that they say they don't deal with the public and to go through their local agent, which is Guntraders & Outdoors. I emailed Steve about ordering the ball, but I doubt I'll hear back from him at all.

Check the size of the hole using shank of a drill bit or allen key. It is probably pretty standard. Unlikely to make something specific for the rifle and just use something standard.

So I head back downstairs to measure the size of the hole, and for some unknown reason I decide to look under some hand clay-thrower packaging on the other side of the garage. Lo and behold, there is a tiny 3.15mm steel ball under it

Needless to say I grabbed it, ran back over to the bench and stuffed it back where it belongs. Thanks very much for the replies guys, especially for the heads up about Cameron Sports, as I think the trigger will need replacing in the near future as it has a hefty burr where it presses on the sear(?).

All back in one piece

Ejected
    Got to love a happy ending

What kind of scrub do you crawl through for that kind of camo?

This is a man that could have benefited from the 'disassemble in a plastic bag' technique
    Bill999 and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Got to love a happy ending

What kind of scrub do you crawl through for that kind of camo?
    It mostly see's it's time spent spotlighting off the back of the ute, or wandering around a sand quarry just before dark. In all honesty though, I was just after something that looked good, covered the well past it original finish, and didn't take forever to do (whole job excluding drying time was about 30 mins)

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    This is a man that could have benefited from the 'disassemble in a plastic bag' technique
    I could certainly have benefited from knowing it existed, let alone practicing it lol.

Definitely will next time, it's a prick of an idea having bearings on springs, I can tell you.