Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By viper

Thread: MAE or Greystone Supressor?

MAE or Greystone Supressor?

I'm looking into purchasing either a Greystone or an MAE suppressor but I'm unsure which is the best brand to buy. I'm after rugged build quality first and foremost with sound supression being a close second. i'm not too bothered about weight within reason. If anyone has had experience with either brands or can recommend a better make I'd appreciate it (Y)

Had a greystone was very good, only swapped to get something lighter, not that the greystones are heavy in the scheme of things.

I'll go with MAE, in saying that I run them on all my rifles... 300 Win Mag, 243, 22-250 and 22 WMR's

I am particularly impressed with their quality, noise reduction and the service that Gary and Jeff have provided.

What Cal. are you looking at? If you are in Auckland I suggest a visit...

PM me if you have any questions, one chap from here is visiting today...

Cheers Craig

I have had both and preferred the GresyStone for sound suppression.

They are both very solid and well made and Stuart at Greystone does fantastic work.

You can't lose here!

You really can't lose in either instance. I have had some Greystones on my hunting rifles (270s etc) and loved them.
    But am a huge supporter of MAE's muzzle forward units for my ARs.
    happy with either and its nice not having to worry about light internals/cleaning etc

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    I'll go with MAE, in saying that I run them on all my rifles... 300 Win Mag, 243, 22-250 and 22 WMR's

I am particularly impressed with their quality, noise reduction and the service that Gary and Jeff have provided.

What Cal. are you looking at? If you are in Auckland I suggest a visit...

PM me if you have any questions, one chap from here is visiting today...

Cheers Craig
    Hi Craig, I'm going a .223 heavy barrel varmint but I'm going to branch out to a 308 on my next rifle. Yeah, MAE does seem to get the majority of the thumbs up in the forums so it's likely I'll go with them. I actually live in Australia but when I'm in NZ I stay near Auckland so that's probably another bonus of going with the MAE. In regards to the supressor size is bigger better or is the reduction in sound very similar between the smaller and larger cans?
    Cheers!

I haven't had a Greystone but have run 2x MAE on a 223. Excellent with probably the best back up service I've ever had. I allowed the suppressor to become lose and an out going bullet did some damage to the end cap.. I contacted MAE
    to see if it was repairable and confess my mistake only to be given a brand new replacement at no cost.....unbelievable, good product backed up by legendary service, hard to beat.
    kiwijames and SlimySquirrel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ushi_tora View Post
    Hi Craig, I'm going a .223 heavy barrel varmint but I'm going to branch out to a 308 on my next rifle. Yeah, MAE does seem to get the majority of the thumbs up in the forums so it's likely I'll go with them. I actually live in Australia but when I'm in NZ I stay near Auckland so that's probably another bonus of going with the MAE. In regards to the supressor size is bigger better or is the reduction in sound very similar between the smaller and larger cans?
    Cheers!
    Hey, I run a heavy barrel on the 300 Win Mag, the suppressor is an over barrel model, just let them know barrel diameters or if you can take it to them even better...in saying that I think the compacts I run on the .243 & .22-250 may very well go over a heavy barrel, talk to Gary and Jeff they'll sort it no probs..

Get a MAE , I have 4x , 3x 308 cans , & a 22mag can I use on a 22 hornet , they are a lot of can for the money .

Yeah. I'm going with an MAE as they seem to be getting a lot of positive feedback. Thanks everyone!!! (Y)

I may be too late, but as you especially mentioned rugged build quality and sound suppression.

For the .223, I would recommend either the SL5 or the jet-Z CQB:

S Series SL5 sound suppressor | Ase Utra
    jet-Z CQB & CQBS | Ase Utra

Both are fully welded and either stainless steel ( SL5 ) or carbon steel ( CQB )

We do have the shorter CQBS available as well, but from the suppression point of view, the above ones are better

For the .308 Win, again looking at suppression before weight:

S Series SL7 sound suppressor | Ase Utra
    jet-Z COMPACT | Ase Utra

Of course you could use our .30 cal suppressors on the .223 very effectively also.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    I may be too late, but as you especially mentioned rugged build quality and sound suppression.

For the .223, I would recommend either the SL5 or the jet-Z CQB:

S Series SL5 sound suppressor | Ase Utra
    jet-Z CQB & CQBS | Ase Utra

Both are fully welded and either stainless steel ( SL5 ) or carbon steel ( CQB )

We do have the shorter CQBS available as well, but from the suppression point of view, the above ones are better

For the .308 Win, again looking at suppression before weight:

S Series SL7 sound suppressor | Ase Utra
    jet-Z COMPACT | Ase Utra

Of course you could use our .30 cal suppressors on the .223 very effectively also.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    Hi, thanks for the link - very classy gears! I can't seem to find a price list for New Zealand though?

Quote Originally Posted by Ushi_tora View Post
    Hi, thanks for the link - very classy gears! I can't seem to find a price list for New Zealand though?
    NZ ammo
    45 south hunting supply's
    Terminator Products

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just ordered a MAE can because it was 40% cheaper than what greystone was offering. Its pretty damn cheap compared to some other brands out there but application would be the key.