Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mag or clarity ? Both hopefully

Mag or clarity ? Both hopefully

Looking at the VX-6HD™ 3-18x44mm For rabbits etc up to 500 mtrs. (with a 22-250)

Been to gun city / hunt and fish etc to compare . Leupold was def the best quality glass for my eyes. Was looking for something around 6-20x50 but things got a bit pricey in the higher mag glass

3-15x44 in Leupold V5 was Crystal clear but the X18 on the VX6 was slightly better because of the extra magnification. BTW between vx5 and vx6 I couldnt tell the diff in clarity of the glass

If they done a 3-18x44 or 3-18x50 in the VX5 it would be perfect.

x15 just a bit under mag for the longer distances on small targets.

Dont want to spend over 2k tbh

trying to decide if the extra magnification (x15-X18) is worth the extra 1000$ or more

Of course dont have to go with Leupold but I like the idea of the CDS turret system

Consider @Sarvo Delta 4-24*50. @dudz
    chainsaw, Moa Hunter and kiwi303 like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I had a VX6 3-18 and VX5hd 3-15 and couldn't tell the difference in glass quality, the extra magnification was nice but don't think it's worth $1000 more.

If it were me I'd be wanting more magnification than 15 or 18x, if you don't need 3x on the low end why not get a 5-25?
    The Vortex PST Gen2 is an excellent scope for the money, I put the glass on the same level as the VX5/VX6.
    Rather than have the CDS dial you can just have a drop chart taped to the rifle and just use mils/moa rather than order the custom turrets.

There is a Vortex AMG on Trademe at the moment for $2800.
    If you are happy with FFP it will be a lot better than the VX6 for similar money.

If I wanted MOA turrets (which I don't) I'd buy that AMG in a heart beat.
    dudz likes this.

Thanks Guys, am looking now. Also Sightron SIII 6-24x50 has good reviews on glass

Hard to go wrong with a SIII. Great price s/h as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    This. Outstanding value and performance. I use mine as a spotter on x24 - its very clear. I would happily have several if I didn't have other 'scopes.
    dudz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    +1for the Delta taitainum mine is the 4x24 and a great scope I had a vx5 and I like the Delta more

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and dudz like this.

Just got rid of a Sightron SIII 8-32x56. Outstanding glass, good price, but no zero stop and locking windage, which tripped me up a few times.
    Replaced with a Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50 for $1900 from Stacey at Hammils Tauranga. Also very good glass, does have zero stop and locking windage.
    I found myself using over 25 magnification when shooting rabbits at 300m. At 500m they must look tiny.
    dudz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Just got rid of a Sightron SIII 8-32x56. Outstanding glass, good price, but no zero stop and locking windage, which tripped me up a few times.
    Replaced with a Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50 for $1900 from Stacey at Hammils Tauranga. Also very good glass, does have zero stop and locking windage.
    I found myself using over 25 magnification when shooting rabbits at 300m. At 500m they must look tiny.
    https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...ide+Focus.html SIII with zero stop

I say 500 Mtrs but thats an absolute max for that size target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9dDCK-BxI

This chap uses a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 on his. I had a look at this scope in gun city this week. Didnt like the reticle (too busy) and the clarity was nowhere near the vx5, although he seems to have no probs with it !

@dudz you will probably get $300 for the covers off the vx6 they are about $350 new if you can get a set.
    dudz likes this.

Delta Titanium 4-24 or Delta Javelin 4.5-30x56

Had the chance to use a delta recently.

Was highly impressed and would buy one myself if I had a rifle needing a new optic.

The way I tend to look at it is if you can't see what you're looking at then something needs to change.

Optical clarity first and foremost.

Then magnification.

If I can count points on a stag at 500+ y with 10x from my 2-10 VX5 for evaluation then that fills the role perfectly.

A varmint situation however may dictate more magnification.

I hope this helps you.
    Gkp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Looking at the VX-6HD™ 3-18x44mm For rabbits etc up to 500 mtrs. (with a 22-250)

Been to gun city / hunt and fish etc to compare . Leupold was def the best quality glass for my eyes. Was looking for something around 6-20x50 but things got a bit pricey in the higher mag glass

3-15x44 in Leupold V5 was Crystal clear but the X18 on the VX6 was slightly better because of the extra magnification. BTW between vx5 and vx6 I couldnt tell the diff in clarity of the glass

If they done a 3-18x44 or 3-18x50 in the VX5 it would be perfect.

x15 just a bit under mag for the longer distances on small targets.

Dont want to spend over 2k tbh

trying to decide if the extra magnification (x15-X18) is worth the extra 1000$ or more

Of course dont have to go with Leupold but I like the idea of the CDS turret system
    On my rabbit rig ive used nightforce nxs 5.5-22 sightron s3 shot rabbits out to 760yards. (260rem) just brought two bushnell xrs2s ffp. i like ffp you can make the reticle small if you want or larger. leupold dont have the best reputation for that kind of precison. id trust a sightron over one any day of the week.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Im stoked with my xrs2 amazing pricing i brought one with the H59 then thought wow i need another couldnt get the h59 so the second is a g3. Those are both excellent options. in my opinion.
    quentin likes this.