Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 25 /08 IMP

Thread: Magneto V3

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Magneto V3

So it has been said that this apparatus affects your groups and no doubt it does hanging off the end of your barrel like it does
    But
    Does it affect group size or simply position of group, and if it's hanging off a suppressor does it make any difference at all

I have data over several trips to say

A- Yes. it makes a point of impact difference[ low and in line] to my Finn but groups are still well acceptable. 6.5 Cal thin barrel. but when wearing the suppressor I have to say the difference could be my shooting as it is all around that 100 meter Zero as I am occasionally.
    B - No, it doesn't seem to make discernible difference to my 30 06 that has a heavier barrel

?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On my rifle it never effected the group size and it seemed to have very little effect on group postion.
    But I always checked poi without it fitted

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    dannyb and Klhari like this.

My V2 never affected group size in fact on one rifle it may have fluked a tuner effect and the group improved a tad but that just may have been a fluke on the day.

POI always shifted up and to the left generally around 1.5 to 2 moa. And that was on an FO truck axle, CZ 223, K31 so a range of barrel thicknesses. Although the V2 was suppressor mounting capable I never got to test mine with a suppressor so cannot help you there.

Shot several details of FO with it attached. Obviously had to adjust the zero but scores were unaffected by having it attached. YMMV

Overall a good Chrony except for having to do final zero with it removed. Far superior to any optical Chrony.

No discernible difference in group size here, but POI change on some barrels.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I've been thinking about getting an off barrel mount. Might get some parts and build up something myself as it would be good to have the chrony on at times

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I've had no effect on group size, just POI

It had no effect on the size of my groups, neither on the poi - I shoot heavy prifile barrels.

My V3 does not affect group size but poi does change when removed.

Iv had all sorts of weird results with MS attached. Have had it alter group sizes and POI on very heavy barrels.
    Now I only use it to get velocity data.
    I made the mistake of trying to do a whole load development with it installed once..suffice to say next time out with my new load, and no MS attached did not go well at all. (0.2" group with it on to over an inch with it off??)
    It left a bit of a bad taste really...was .338LM as well, must have wasted a good few hundred $ on that exercise.