Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Gerbs
  • 3 Post By Gerbs
  • 1 Post By Gerbs
  • 1 Post By TimK

Thread: Magpul 700 build + Pistol clubs?

Magpul 700 build + Pistol clubs?

Christmas is fast approaching, and I'm thinking to myself that this years present to me should be a nice new hunting rifle.

This is what I'm considering:
    Magpul Hunter 700 stock with AICS bottom metal kit
    Remington 700 donor in 308
    Trigger - Timney?
    Scope - probably a 2-10 or similar.
    Barrel chopped to 16-17in and suppressed.

First question I have - is a blind mag (BDL?) 700 OK for the donor? I'm assuming all 700 actions are the same.
    Specifically going for the Magpul stock as I've the 10/22 version and it fits my hand and hold really well.

Second question - recommendations for a good friendly pistol club in Auckland. I'm based in Greenhithe, but happy to travel if I get to hang out with some good c**ts while I learn and get my B.
    TimK likes this.

ADL the 700 with no floor plate, BDL has the metal hinged floor plate and CDL I think is the mag version. I just converted my ADL by fitting a standard BDL stock to it and adding the magpul bottom metal and mag kit (which is actually all plastic).

I did look at the magpul hunter stock but from memory the for end was a fraction too long for my cut down barrel and suppressor length. I free floated the forend and the stock is not bedded. It took a little Dremel work just to fit the magpul setup into place but it is completely manageable if done with care. Rifle is way sub MOA. It was before and it still is with my work on it in the shed.

Any ADL or BDL 700 variant should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Second question - recommendations for a good friendly pistol club in Auckland. I'm based in Greenhithe, but happy to travel if I get to hang out with some good c**ts while I learn and get my B.
    Auckland Pistol Club. Located in Brookby South Auckland. Restricted shooting hours of Wednesday afternoon and weekends 10am - 4pm
    Auckland Pistol Club

Waiuku Pistol Club. Located near Waiuku, get off motorway for Drury. Shoot Wednesday - > 10am - 4pm
    Waiuku Pistol Club

Warkworth Pistol Club - full and long waiting list

Omni Pistol Club. Located at NZDA Riverhead range. Restricted shooting on club days only, on weekends only.
    https://sites.google.com/site/omnitargetclub/home

APC has good shooters to learn off, both IPSC and NRA. Waiuku has better options for shooting mid week, Saturday good for pistol but it's a bit of a drive.

The new Auckland shooting Club isn't open for another 6 months at least.
    Auckland Shooting Club

All clubs will keep a very close eye on you while you learn and demonstrate the ability to handle a pistol safely - not everyone can - so sometimes some members may come across quite blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    All clubs will keep a very close eye on you while you learn and demonstrate the ability to handle a pistol safely - not everyone can - so sometimes some members may come across quite blunt.
    If I do something stupid or unsafe, I expect blunt.
    Blunt is better than an accident.
    Beaker, res and 223nut like this.

Have sent APC a contact email - thanks kscott.
    Kscott likes this.

Ugh.

"The Club has recently reopened after a short closure due to a noise issue and is currently operating under some heavy restrictions. We hope to be back to full operation shortly.
    Until then we are not having any new member visits or taking on any new members."

Bugger!

Ive looked everywhere in/around Akl and everyone is full up in regards to pistol shooting. Would be interested to know if you find anywhere. Im also very interested in learning and working towards my B.