Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Make me a recommendation

Make me a recommendation

Need to buy a rifle. First one locally. But just before everyone thinks this is an easy question and the usual calibre war, it's slightly complicated by firearms I own abroad that I'm trying to import (probably worthy of another thread, another time, seems the logistics to do this has become all sorts of interesting with Qantas suspending flights, we'll see).

So the rifle I buy needs to not overlap directly with anything I own that might (or might not) be arriving yet still be a bit of an all-rounder that can tide me over until I have the importation question answered one way or another.

Rifles coming over as follows:

1. My custom .404 Jeffery with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20. I love this rifle and will probably press it into service where I can get away with something much, much smaller. The .423" 400gr is overkill for all critters here although the low muzzle velocity means meat damage isn't as bad as one would expect. (I've hunted Impala with it several times, just because I could)

2. 7x57 Mauser, got a Swaro Z3 3-9 on it. Probably my most "suitable" rifle for NZ. Although the calibre is slightly odd-ball here, it'll do the same job at short to medium ranges than a 7mm-08 or 308 would. The rifle, although beautiful, is from first part of 20th century so not a long range candidate. Not that the calibre is either. Might become my go-to sub 150m range rifle if it gets here.

3. .30-06 Brno ZKK600. Not much to be said. Has a suppressor fitted, needs a new scope after I fell from a horse with the rifle.

My thinking on the rifle to be bought here:

1. Howa or Remington 700 of some sort in 6.5 Creedmoor. Probably in heavy barrel profile to facilitate me pushing it into dedicated long range service down the track. Not the ideal bush rifle but can work. But what scope to fit on this now and in future? Also, see the Tikkas are all the rage here. Really worth the extra dough?

2. Marlin 336 in .30-30. Pretty serviceable bush rifle perhaps, plugging a gap in the low recoil, short and handy end not covered by my others. Allure is also that I have never owned a lever action before. I've rarely come across one too, lever actions are not really a thing in South Africa for whatever reason. Mount some 2-7x or similar lower end magnification scope on it?

3. Anything else, motivated appropriately.

Other considerations:

Given I've mostly hunted bushveld conditions in South Africa, most of my shooting experience is of the closer range variety. I'll likely stick to a similar sort of shooting range until I'm more proficient in longer range shooting and know the local hunting scene better. Given I'm based in Auckland and the likely hunting options around probably feeds into that but I might be wrong. Also, given wife is looking at a redundancy at work, I probably have limited funds to work with now. A .22LR will be a mandatory addition at some point, priority now is to have something that allows hunting of the fridge-filling variety.

So, please help me decide how I spend money.

45/70 lever...if you are a big bore fan and don't expect any long range shooting.
    (Note.... I am a big fan of 45/70 so could be considered a bias opinion....)
    A 308 bushpig is also a popular choice for nz bush hunting.
    berg243, mimms2 and T.FOYE like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

.223 it covers the lighter end as it seems you have top end more than covered.... goats wallabies fallow and even reds n pigs....sub 150 yards no problem at all....hares n rabbits are just plain old good fun with .223
    good for kids or the Mrs to use......cheap as chips to run....pleasant to shoot...even more so suppressed.
    a crudemore will be redundant when your others arrive....your dirty 06 can do it all with ease......long range too..... there is no downside to owning a 223
    planenutz, Ingrid 51, 40mm and 3 others like this.

Schultz and Larsen Classic DL in 308win.These have many easy barrel swap options do you could get 6.5 creed or 6.5*55 or 7.08 et al at will. Lots of bbl profile options too. Call CR Pain LTD in Auckland. (Agents)
    Danny likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

An intriguing option. I'm going to break my rule of saying “back where I come from..." but bear with me here, it is my only point of prior reference after all: Back in South Africa, the 223 was not considered ethical for antelope/warthog. Game farms often had a minimum calibre requirement of 243 for open country (springbok hunting and such). Up north in the thick stuff minimum calibre requirement was often in the 6.5mm+ range. Not sure how far it came to being actual law but there was a push to publish minimum requirements for different animal species that would have made it pretty much illegal to use the 223 for anything outside of paper punching and pest control (Black backed jackal typically).

So I do have a predisposition against the 223 for hunting. How well is it considered here? In other words, will I look like a tool as much as I think I will if I pitch with a 223 when invited along for my first hunt in NZ?

Eh, was meant to quote @Micky Duck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    45/70 lever...if you are a big bore fan and don't expect any long range shooting.
    (Note.... I am a big fan of 45/70 so could be considered a bias opinion....)
    A 308 bushpig is also a popular choice for nz bush hunting.
    I've considered the 45-70 briefly. Much as I'm addicted to recoil, I have plenty stuff that can kick but few that are light on recoil. Other than recoil therapy, what can the 45-70 offer me locally that the 30-30 can not accomplish? Would the 30-30 be enough gun for local species within, say, 150m?

have a squizz at the 222 controversial one thread.......it will make your mind up
    as for will you look like a tool???? not if you can shoot straight you wont....sub 150 yards ,and you did say you like to get close...they are really neat wee rifles to use.
    ZQLewis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    have a squizz at the 222 controversial one thread.......it will make your mind up
    as for will you look like a tool???? not if you can shoot straight you wont....sub 150 yards ,and you did say you like to get close...they are really neat wee rifles to use.
    Cheers, I'll mull over this for a bit while attending to your recommended reading.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Definitely a 223 if I was you.
    Maybe 22LR as well.

Think you might be on the money with the 6.5mm rounds. 6.5CM, 6.5x55 have the most available factory ammo, while the 260rem is right up there for those that tend to reload. All have very little recoil, especially when suppressed.
    Tikka seems to be the go-to rifle for a large number of hunters, and for good reason. Not overpriced, shoot very well, and hold their price pretty well when it comes time to onsell. You also have a lot of aftermarket stocks, triggers, bolt knobs, shrouds, pic rails etc for them, so can customise as you see fit.
    Lugging a 12lb 26" heavy barreled rifle around NZ bush to hunt with tends to seem like a good idea at the time, but you will get bored with it pretty quickly (from personal experience). Just having a long barreled rifle regardless of the weight is a pain in the butt in the bush. Hence why you often see the 12-14" .308 bush pig's used for tight bush hunting.

First thought is I think you are under rating the 7x57. For most NZ hunting it will do everthing you need provided you reload and can make the most of it. Certainly the 7x57 in a good condition action will out perform the 7m08 with the heavier pills.
    I see the 6.5 being too close to the 7x57 so would skip that one.
    So my first thought was 243 with a fast twist barrel would cover most NZ hunting out to 500 mtr if you reload. Again it's not that different to your 7x57 so I see the 223 as a viable option for shorter range deer and longer range pest control until you get your 7x57 and other here.

Lever actions, Marlin 336 in 30/30 or 35 Rem, Browning BLR in any caliber from 223 to 30/06, used Savage 99.
    So if you can find one scratch both itches and get a BLR in 223. Will shoot with most bolt actions.
    Z
    NB I get wanting to use the 404,
    These last couple of years I have been using mostly a 358 win over my 243, The 243 is so much easier to shoot, quality action, trigger etc, a little more weight and better shaped stock. But the 358 with it's crappy trigger and less ergonomic stock, extra kick is just so much fun and challenging to shoot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Walking my rifle
    Buy a 243
    outlander likes this.

Personally l would be looking at something like this that you can use as the basis of a great style of rifle known locally as the kiwi bush pig on a proven, cheap rifle ie simply add suppressor & scope of choice & it will do it all far better than anything you are trying to bring over.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....3-308-a-60202/
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nkwe View Post
    I've considered the 45-70 briefly. Much as I'm addicted to recoil, I have plenty stuff that can kick but few that are light on recoil. Other than recoil therapy, what can the 45-70 offer me locally that the 30-30 can not accomplish? Would the 30-30 be enough gun for local species within, say, 150m?
    30/30 is reputed to have taken more deer than any other calibre according to our american friends...
    born to hunt - forced to work