Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

sneakywaza I got

Many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

After waiting for weeks to get my new rifle, it finally arrived, a keen Wap hunter on his way down South stopped in for a brew and dropped it in for me
    Name:  6mm Rem 700 heavy.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  924.9 KB
    ( cheers @Brian), bought it from @nor=west ages ago, knew it had potential as a shooter as @Tentman had shot it with factory bluebox and liked it, opening the box of stuff that came with it was like Christmas, quality dies, lots of cases and lots of good projectiles, and some factory ammo ready to go, so at the end of the day, off to the range I did go, needed bore sighted as the scope was out, and then a couple of rounds down to get it where I wanted, bluebox 100gn gave me 3x3 groups on or at 1/2", not bloody bad for a rifle made January 1968! Trigger is at least as good as my M12 trigger! @Tentman told me it was good, but far out, it really is!
    Name:  6R Sight in 1st.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  3.42 MB
    Name:  6R Factory ammo group.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  3.21 MB

Now to sort a load for long range Hopper popping!

Bloody pleased it's getting used instead of being locked away
    257weatherby and Cordite like this.

sneakywaza I got
    In the box of stuff that came with the rifle (6mmRem) was an unopened box of 95 Nosler Bt's, have never used them on deer in any cartridge, any word on how they go?, ideal placement? I generally stay off the shoulder in favour of getting to the boiler room with frangible pills. They do look quite spiffy but are they an upgrade!

That rifle is as good as I suspected it would be. I recommended to a young guy he buy it but several salesmen got in the way..
    257weatherby likes this.

GWH
    Lovely looking rifle alright, made back when everything was still made well. Clearly its a shooter.

I wouldnt hesitate to shoulder shoot a red deer with the 95 nbt. They are much tougher than the reputation they originally got. All the NBTs have a pretty solid base.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    In the box of stuff that came with the rifle (6mmRem) was an unopened box of 95 Nosler Bt's, have never used them on deer in any cartridge, any word on how they go?, ideal placement? I generally stay off the shoulder in favour of getting to the boiler room with frangible pills. They do look quite spiffy but are they an upgrade!
    @257weatherby fragile is the key word there !

Fine in the ribs but I would just use them up on wallabies
    Go near the shoulder in a deer with them and your dogs will go hungry
    257weatherby likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @257weatherby fragile is the key word there !

Fine in the ribs but I would just use them up on wallabies
    Go near the shoulder in a deer with them and your dogs will go hungry
    Incorrect. The 6mm 95gr NBT is not a varmint bullet, have a read

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...74/type/thread

I wouldn’t hesitate. I’ve shot a number of reds with the 70gr nbt (which is listed as a varmint bullet) out of a 6x45. They have a really solid base that helps hold it together. The 95 is a whole different ball game, in a good way.
    GWH and Micky Duck like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Beaut rifle .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They're a deer bullet that's why I bought them.
    GWH, chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    They're a deer bullet that's why I bought them.
    According to the link i posted and the guy that designed that particular projectile, its even an Elk bullet.

sneakywaza I got
    Load development has been started!
    Name:  6mmRem load development.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  2.91 MB
    Not looking for zero, factory blue box has that for now, 100gn going 3100 is good enough.
    The 105gn Speer and Hornady Hp both going 3k and room to go a bit faster yet, going to retest +1 grain then fool about with seating depths, not enough velo potential with the 87Hp in Re22 it seems, will revisit the 87Hp when I switch to IMR4451, got plenty of that and it's a "go fast" powder for 6mm Rem so expecting good things. I like that radically different pills hold close enough to the same POI to be usable together, shows how good this thing might get with serious development work, was potting drink bottles at 400yds with the heavies, Kentucky windage for wind and left of windage zero, scopes good enough to get it done, will be a 500yd Hopper gun without drama I reckon.

Anybody use the Hornady 105 Hp on deer? how do they work?

But the bloody steel butt plate pretending to be plastic is going to get the push, bought some Red Band jandals on Friday, one of em is going on the gun!
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I have a Remington with the same stock in 17 remington.
    If you have a chance, try some 75 gr hp flat base( I think both sierra and hornady make some) . It is a fantastic bullet for goats and fallows and usually very accurate, if your gun like it.

Could just araldite a jandal to the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Could just araldite a jandal to the steel.
    sounds like the redband jandle is already lined up for the job...and he calls me Hori !!!!!!