Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marlin 917v

Question Marlin 917v

My father just gave me a marlin 917v rifle ( yeah , the one I talked him into buying 12 years ago ), and I have a couple of q's
    1 is that tinny looking spring steel clip thing that has the 2 ejector claws on it up to the task ( this thing hasnt yet fired 50 rounds......yeah he really needed it )
    2 is the front end of the 2 piece bolt sposed to just fall off ( took ages to find it ).
    3 this thing appears to have a cock , ei , as I close the bolt and the pin in the bolt knob moves on to the opening cam there is a loud klunk ( rabbits scattering in all directions )and the bolt handle is held almost right up untill a bit of pressure either way and it opens or closes and works just fine . Any recommendations for ammo , it came with some 17gn cci ammo .
    Thanks
    Hamish
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

If it is the same as my Marlin 982SV in WMR - and it likely is - then yes the stainless ejector claw system works well. And yes it is a two piece bolt - press together, rotate front and it will do fine. There is a bolt half cock which I don't use, but if you're getting a loud noise (mine has none) then disassemble and oil bolt, keep lubed and you'll be fine.

Can be extremely accurate for a basic rifle - if you do your part it should group under 1" at 100m. They appear to like Hornady ammos but you'll have to try some makes on the range to find its preference. Give barrel a thorough copper clean before you range test it.

Here's a Marlin rimfire bolt takedown link - its for a model 882 22LR but should work for your 917:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhfH_v3ohw

Thanks for that mudgrips . The cock on mine is something I want to fix as its quite a klunk . The link for bolt dissassembly will be a great help . Cheers man
    Hamish
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .