Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

marlin xs7 running reveiw

well due to not being able to afford to run my 6mm all the time for practice at the range i decided to save up and get a middle of the road 223 i set myself a budget of $700 and started looking at options.

looked at lots of options mossberg and zastava to name a couple but i settled on the marlin because of the good reviews on the net and the 1 in 9 twist (most of the others i looked at were 1 in 12) and also it was the gun that was suggested to me by Dave from re loaders when i asked what he would suggest for around $700

they didn't have any in 223 in stock so had to order one for me which meant a 3 week wait which was good in a way as it gave me time to save the rest of the money

so it arrived in on Tuesday but i was unable to pick it up till today so i popped over and picked it up

cost were as follows
    rifle $699
    warne rings $69
    50 rounds cheap hornady ammo $35
    total $813

as i was having a play i noticed that it had a pretty good trigger and that the stock fit me quite well so i was happy with it

i bolted a 6.5-20 weaver grand slam on top and bore sighted it

marlin designed there trigger before savage so i'm told very similar

i hope to shoot tomorrow but if its raining i wont be
    when i do shoot it ill review accuracy etc

cheers

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Keen to hear how it goes

It's funny how similar the trigger is, even Mossberg went through the trouble of adding lightning bolts to their trigger piece! It's good to see that they put a lot of effort into making the trigger decent since their 22 triggers are terrible ha ha. Eager to see if it proves to be MOA accurate with factory ammo. When's the range trip?

I'm very keen to see how it goes. I owned an XS7 in 7mm08 (my brother has it now). I hand load for him and that thing shoots sub MOA. I only sold it (for very cheap) to get him into hunting for cheap.

I'm looking at a 223 myself. Kind of wanting a savage model 12, but my last experience with the XS7 was damn good, so wouldn't be opposed to one of them.

well a very frustrating day today the rifle was way low and i ran out of adjustment on the scope so i took the scope off and the rail and put a shim made out of a bit of coke can under the rear of the base and mounted it all up again and try ed again it did improve it some what but was still about 4inch low when i ran out of adjustment

nothing to do with the rifle which i shot an inch group off sand bags all be it 4 inches low a mate of mine shot a 1/2inch group off the bench with hornady v-max 55gn factory ammo so the rifle is a tack driver its just the mounting i need to sort out

ill take it back to the shop and see if they will swap the rings or something

all in all i'm happy with the rifle its self cant ask much better than a half inch of the bench for a $700 gun

You're going to have to fire about 2,000 rounds before it pays for itself over using 6mm? Estimated of course, but...

plus i wanted a new toy of corse

Extremely crooked, considering I made them up and I have no idea how much 6mmRem costs.