Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marlin XT22

Marlin XT22

Anyone have one? Mint rifle?

I have one. Don't particularly enjoy it. Dropped it in a laminate stock which helped the balance and appearance, but I'm still not thrilled with it by any means.

Trigger is a poor imitation of the accutrigger. Action is a little clunky.

Doesn't like winchester ammo - won't eject casings from powerpoints and crushes the hollow points on the 40gr subs when chambering.

Tried a variety of ammo and have ended up on CCI subs, but it's still not particularly accurate. 20-25mm at 50y, from memory. (have a few recent targets at home that I can check tomorrow night)

Often think about selling it and picking up a savage or something instead.

Just my experience, I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

Hehe, I've got the opposite experience. Got one, picked it up from Serious Shooters about a year ago - my last purchase from them ever but that's a different story

After much ammo testing, have stuck with CCI SV as they shoot perfectly and very accurately for me. Had some horrible results from a lot of stuff, including T22, Federal and SK STandard Plus. I shoot metallic silhouettes with it, I've lightened the trigger to 2.1lbs, shoot targets at 40m, 60m, 75m and rams at 100m. Ram target is the size of your hand, so if I can hit that, from a standing position with no slings, etc with CCI standards, that'll do me.

25 yards off a front rest only.

Rams at 100m for metallic sils just to put things into perspective - it can knock them over when I do my part.

Wishing I had one, I got both my marlin .22 and 917vr just before the released the xt series, they shoot very straight for me, only run CCI through them, only thing I wish I could do easily was adjust the trigger pull, can't be bothered trying to change to the tx will just lump it
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    Wishing I had one, I got both my marlin .22 and 917vr just before the released the xt series, they shoot very straight for me, only run CCI through them, only thing I wish I could do easily was adjust the trigger pull, can't be bothered trying to change to the tx will just lump it
    That is a very easy fix! Only takes a few minutes to change the worst offender, the trigger return spring, with a doner from a pen.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Cool. I'm thinking of picking one up after seeing Serious Shooters is doing them for $300 bare (I don't care for the junk in 22 packages). I would like to set it up for LR .22 shooting, nothing like trying to hit steel plates at 150 - 300 yds on a windy day.

Same package I had from SS. My one is running a Mueller APV from Digit, although at 100m on a ram 14x is barely suitable, must upgrade to something with target turrets one day.

I've got an XT22 with full barrel supressor.

My experience with 40g Winchester subs in this rifle is exactly as StrikerNZ described. I was stuck with 500 rounds, so now that they are gone I'm trying the 42g subs from Winchester, 38g Subs from Remmington and the CCI subsonics in 50/100 packs.

Would probably stick with the CCI's except they are really hard to find in CHCH right now.

Marlin XT-22R | Trade Me

^ Is there much (any) difference between XT22 and XT22R?

Whats the difference besides the trigger compared to the 25N?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats the difference besides the trigger compared to the 25N?
    The stock has moulded in plastic sling swivels too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Same package I had from SS. My one is running a Mueller APV from Digit, although at 100m on a ram 14x is barely suitable, must upgrade to something with target turrets one day.
    I have a Mueller Tac II which I also got from Digit, which it will probably wear. I'm thinking of buying an airsoft "sniper rifle" and converting it into a stock for the Marlin. Maybe an L96.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    That is a very easy fix! Only takes a few minutes to change the worst offender, the trigger return spring, with a doner from a pen.
    Very tempted GM had a look online for a how too, but its me and knowing me I would stuff it up some how.

I am thinking about taping the trigger completely down while gun is in the safe hoping to "stretch" it out and loosen it a bit, does anyone know if this would actually work .?????

( FYI ) hunting and fishing got scoped package of the .22xt $399

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The stock has moulded in plastic sling swivels too.
    That's what made my buy the model prior to the XT moulded sling just didn't look right to me

ebf
    Kscott, that first pic of yours with the weather info, is that a smartphone app ?

Re your scope, have a look at the Tasco Varmint 6-24, got one on an Omark, thinking that I would bin it, I've been pleasantly surprised by it.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute