Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Marlin xt22 MVSR problem

Marlin xt22 MVSR problem

I have an issue with my xt-22 and its left me in a bit of a spot. So I brought it new , took it for a shoot and it was very nice, I was quite impressed with it. I thought I would like to have the option of shooting subs quietly so decided to get it threaded. I ended up using Paul from hushpro, he had done work for me before that I had been happy with. I got it back last week and took to the range on Sunday. Using the same ammo that had worked perfectly a couple of weeks earlier(Winchester power points)it would not extract. I carefully used a cleaning rod to clear the spent case. Out of curiosity I then tried a vmax And the same thing happened. I cleared that then pulled the barrel and action off the stock and to me it looks like the pin holding the barrel to the action has had a hard time. Sorry, that's the back story. I called Paul up Monday explaining the situation and he was good about it and I dropped it to him yesterday afternoon. He said he hadn't had trouble with the pin and I left it with him to fix, and he told me to give him a call this afternoon. Today He confirmed it will not extract and he believes there is some sort of chamber damage. He doesn't know how it would happen but said it's nothing he has caused. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could remotely be ? I'm pretty gutted. I pick it up off him on Thursday. Will put some pics up then

Are there scratches or marks on the spent brass? Post a picture of a spent case that got stuck. An imperfection in the chamber bad enough to cause extraction issues will generally show a scratch on the brass when it is removed.
    Is the rifle a .22wmr?
    Last edited by ChrisW; 03-03-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Have you given the chamber area a good scrub as rimfire ammo has a wax coating that can build up and make extraction difficult especially if the chamber is tight .
    I have a CZ with this problem, great for 200 - 300 rounds and then starts to get the odd case that fails to extract.

Yeah it is a 22mag. I gave it a good clean at the range after the first failure to extract. Cheers I get it back on Thursday I will put up some pics . If it is the chamber, is there a fix?

yip...take it back to retailer you bought it from....or better still get Paul to do so...it was working BEFORE he worked on it...and its not working afterwards.
    viper likes this.

Yeah. I have told paul that it was working before he threaded the barrel and now it's not. He has totally denied any responsibility. Dont see alot I can do about it. I've got other rifles threaded by dpt and dean maisey. Highly recommend dean maisey the decals on the suppressor are exactly where they should be when it's on. I guess that's a lesson not to be lazy.

SO..........to put it another way,you take it back to retailer,they send it to whoever the wholesaler wants it sent to...they look at it,examine it,decide the issue has been caused recently by some error when barrel was threaded......warrenty/responsibility is gone from them and you are stuck with a non functioning rifle.

If Paul does it...the argument is not a case of chinese whispers (or should that be facemask mutters?) HE will be answering directly.

or you bought a new hilux wagon.....drove it for a week then took it into Tonys/firestone/baurepairs to get some new rims and mudgrip tyres fitted,drive it home and notice three wheel studs are broken...or there is dent in sill.......or rip in drivers seat cover.....
    I feel you are being dicked around if Paul wont fix issue that wasnt there before he worked on it...what say you @gundoc @Friwi ???

Haha I appreciate your feedback and it's probably good advice but I dont really want paul involved with anything going forward. I've learned my lesson mate. I think I'm just going to have to wear it. On the up side, lessons are valuable and every day is a school day.
    Micky Duck likes this.

There are two possible causes, a damaged chamber (a burr from dry-firing?) or a rounded extractor. If it is of the dual claw type, make sure that the two claws are not transposed. The claw with the sharp edge must be on the right and the rounded claw on the left (or the other way round if it is left hand ejection). Apart from the actual edge of the extractor claw the parts are interchangeable. A gunsmith who could not diagnose the problem quickly is not a gunsmith! Either causes are easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    There are two possible causes, a damaged chamber (a burr from dry-firing?) or a rounded extractor. If it is of the dual claw type, make sure that the two claws are not transposed. The claw with the sharp edge must be on the right and the rounded claw on the left (or the other way round if it is left hand ejection). Apart from the actual edge of the extractor claw the parts are interchangeable. A gunsmith who could not diagnose the problem quickly is not a gunsmith! Either causes are easy to fix.
    Thanks. That is fantastic to know. I will check the extractor on Thursday. I will want to sort this soI'm picking I will be looking to get this to a gunsmith shortly, happy to know its fixable. And I'm not and unreasonable person so if it's a dry fire issue I will post that up and put my hand up.

GWH
    The Marlin XT22's have a shitty spring steel extractor clip. My kids XT22 youth has recently had the same issue. Google it, common issue
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The Marlin XT22's have a shitty spring steel extractor clip. My kids XT22 youth has recently had the same issue. Google it, common issue
    I bought a XT22 recently, in general for the money is pretty good. Great accuracy, damn good trigger (again for the money). But the ugly dog leg in the bolt makes for high scope mounting (I couldn't even mount my fav 22 scope) and while I've had no issues, that extractor clip gives me the shits.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I know this may sound stupid but have you tried different ammo.
    We have 2 Marlin XT model 22 magnums, one is the MVSR the same as this and the other is the basic standard synthetic model. With both of these we had numerous problems with failing to extract using Winchester ammunition. We changed to CCI and can't remember when we had the last one. Some of the Winchester cases would have a very fine split near the top of the case after firing and these were the ones that always stuck in the chamber.
    I even tried bending the angle of the extractor claw to a slightly greater angle which helped a little but we didn't fix the problem until we changed ammo and have never looked back since.
    We use CCI Maxi Mag 40gr HP.

Well it's worth a try. I've got some cci game points I can try. Cheers.