Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By norsk

Thread: Martini-Enfield Mk I info

Martini-Enfield Mk I info

Hi all, wondering A; what a reasonable price to pay for a Martini-Enfield .303 would be, and B; if it would be safe to shoot one with Trail Boss loads.
    I might have the opportunity to purchase one in the near future, any info about what it may be worth is appreciated. It's stamped 'NZ' and '98' on top of the front of the receiver, and the rear shows the serial number 2138. One side of the receiver has a crown, then 'V.R.', 'Enfield', '1895' another smaller crown, then 'M.E. .303. then 'I'. The other side has another crown, then 'V.R', 'Enfield', '1882', another small crown, 'III.' then 'I.'
    I just kind of want it for the sake of another piece of NZ history, the bore is a bit shagged, the stock has been repaired at some point and most of the finish on the metal is gone, but not bad for something over 100 years old, reckon it would be safe to shoot with some Trail Boss powder? 25,800 PSI seems pretty safe to me, were the bore pristine I would bother firing it, but this thing isn't exactly NIB so i'm not worried about hurting the value of it.
    Cheers

Post some pictures.

Take the block out and check that the firing pin hole has been bushed.This should have been done when it was converted from 450/577.

You never know if it has the right block in it,the pressure from a .303 service round is hugely greater than the black powder round it was designed for so there was a chance that the primer could rupture and gass would blow back into the action.

Try for $300,thats all I would offer for it
    ZG47 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

The first few shots you might want to stick it in a lead sled and stand well back and fire it with a bit of string.
    Other wise take the firing pin out and use it as a wall hanger.....our what ever needs to be done to make it legal to hang on wall

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Hi all, wondering A; what a reasonable price to pay for a Martini-Enfield .303 would be, and B; if it would be safe to shoot one with Trail Boss loads.
    I might have the opportunity to purchase one in the near future, any info about what it may be worth is appreciated. It's stamped 'NZ' and '98' on top of the front of the receiver, and the rear shows the serial number 2138. One side of the receiver has a crown, then 'V.R.', 'Enfield', '1895' another smaller crown, then 'M.E. .303. then 'I'. The other side has another crown, then 'V.R', 'Enfield', '1882', another small crown, 'III.' then 'I.'
    I just kind of want it for the sake of another piece of NZ history, the bore is a bit shagged, the stock has been repaired at some point and most of the finish on the metal is gone, but not bad for something over 100 years old, reckon it would be safe to shoot with some Trail Boss powder? 25,800 PSI seems pretty safe to me, were the bore pristine I would bother firing it, but this thing isn't exactly NIB so i'm not worried about hurting the value of it.
    Cheers
    I have one with a knackered barrel that I loaded up some light loads using 2208 and some 190g lead projectiles. 24g powder from memory.
    Put them through sideways at 25 yards so gave up..
    As to value. Would depend on condition overall obviously. But 3-4 hundred maybe

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Projectile dia a prob on these?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Projectile dia a prob on these?
    Ive used .315 barrel is proper fucked 😣

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Is one .311? Not into 303s but the discussion comes up at the Black Powder club where a few guys bang these things, I have a Martini 577/450 I shoot.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough