Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: MDT LSS

  1. #1
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,008

    MDT LSS

    Who's had one? Who still has one? General experiences and impressions? Quality/ergonomics/weight/size?

    I'm considering one (gen2) with a short barrelled RAR.

    @Sasquatch @Beavis @Happy

  2. #2
    Member Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,921
    Still have it Works fine on short 308. Quality good Heavier of course than fibre stocks which I have
    I like the fact you can drop it smash it up and you won’t break. Great mags as well of course
    It’s a keeper Mines one of the first lot .Folding stock woo hoo
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rapa
    Posts
    547
    Got one a gen1 on a 16" .308. Same as what Happy said. Personally think they look a but funny with a longer barrel. As with all alloy stocks they are cold in cold weather. One thing I noticed on mine is when fitted with a Magpul Moe+ grip, there was sharp corners where the grip attached to the stock. Soon rounded off with the dremel. Probably not an issue with a different grip as the Moe+ is narrower than a std A2 where it mounts.

    Stu @ Target Dynamics International is good to deal with.

  4. #4
    Member Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Forest
    Posts
    2,086
    LSS suits a short configuration, as NZshoota said they look weird with a long barrel. Mine had a 13" .308 was awesome and was fairly light for me to carry. Considering it was a chassis too, which aren't that light for field use normally.

    Only problem I encountered was gen 1 had a short fore-end, didn't use a bipod but there wasn't much to hold on to so I flipped between an angled fore-grip and a vertical one. Maybe gen2 has a better longer fore-end?
    xtightg likes this.

  5. #5
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    4,095
    I did like mine. I felt that it could of been better in some ways. I like the look of the Gen 2 XL much more than the Gen 1.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    The New Progressive non binary Socialist Dystopian Republic
    Posts
    746
    I hope they are okay got these in FDE in transit with mags for RAR and LTR.

    Will advise what I think when here and tried out but I am sure they will be fine, I can attach my torch underneath for the wallabies.

    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...342&pid=116299

    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...335&pid=116297
    Voltair once said: if you want to know who rules you, ask who you can't criticize.

    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill

    "Socialism is philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"~Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    340
    I've got two and they're rock solid. Have thrown, bashed, and dragged my LSS-XL through a fair bit of Matagouri in search of wallabies and it still looks practically new. Rifle becomes one solid lump vs a delicately bedded thing.
    xtightg likes this.

  8. #8
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,008
    Quote Originally Posted by xtightg View Post
    I hope they are okay got these in FDE in transit with mags for RAR and LTR.

    Will advise what I think when here and tried out but I am sure they will be fine, I can attach my torch underneath for the wallabies.

    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...342&pid=116299

    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...335&pid=116297
    Require export permits?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    The New Progressive non binary Socialist Dystopian Republic
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Require export permits?
    Did the NZ import permit its free I always did why not, I think I had it emailed within about a week with the hard copy by mail some days later.

    I forwarded the emailed NZ import permit to the USA with their completed purchase order job done export permit granted not free $250.00 US. I am ordering more than two chassis if you order enough the seller may help offset this cost)

    I asked around if mates wanted to put items on this export permit but no takers, maybe the forum could do a group think thing?

    I have imported most of my gear and when I have had problems I send it direct to the manufacturer.
    Last edited by xtightg; 02-07-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Voltair once said: if you want to know who rules you, ask who you can't criticize.

    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill

    "Socialism is philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"~Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    The New Progressive non binary Socialist Dystopian Republic
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by xtightg View Post
    Did the NZ import permit its free I always did why not, I think I had it emailed within about a week with the hard copy by mail some days later.

    I forwarded the emailed NZ import permit to the USA with their completed purchase order job done export permit granted not free $250.00 US. I am ordering more than two chassis if you order enough the seller may help offset this cost)

    I asked around if mates wanted to put items on this export permit but no takers, maybe the forum could do a group think thing?

    I have imported most of my gear and when I have had problems I send it direct to the manufacturer.
    I get a bit fed up with people advertising gear they dont have then want me to pay them in advance for them to import said goods so I just do it direct and cut out the delay and cost same with warranty issues and repairs..
    Voltair once said: if you want to know who rules you, ask who you can't criticize.

    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill

    "Socialism is philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"~Winston Churchill

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    4,268
    I've got one, (gen 1 I think, imported direct) with a tikka 6.5x55 Swede. Epoxy bedded and it's rather accurate.
    It is short, prone with bipod it's great. Free hand, is different but OK. Highly recommend them

    Also have a DPT. Haven't fitted a action to it yet, but I would recommend it cover the mdt. Bloody nice bit of kit, lighter, and just seems better. I'll send it to you @gimp if you want to have a play
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  12. #12
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,008
    Thanks, but at this stage I'm not looking at the DPT due inletting options.

  13. #13
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,008
    The Gen2 LSS is supposedly lighter - and if I happen to buy one, the final setup will make a 16 inch barrel look long in comparison

  14. #14
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    4,095
    I like the idea of a Gen 2 XL with the barrel cut short enough for the can to just clear the handguard

  15. #15
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,008
    Yep that's roughly what I'm thinking but probably the smaller chassis, DPT overbarrel can is overbarrel by ~4 inches so probably a ~13 inch barrel. RAR that takes AR mags, set it up with a RHS folder so it can't be fired folded for light/compact setup with AR-like ergonomics for fast pointing. XLR stock looks good if I can get one.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!