Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By Friwi

Thread: Model 7 for 6mm CM Build??

Model 7 for 6mm CM Build??

I'm planning a 6mm Crudmoor build. A "walking varminter" but with a nod to gong shooting with a adjustable stock, Barrel profile will probably be the same as the Lithgow LA 102 - they call it a cross-over and as an intermediate weight it works bloody well - light enough to carry on the hill but beefy enough to hold zero for 10 fast shots.

The action for the build is proving a bit problematic (unless I spend a lot more coin than I'd like). No reasonably priced stainless Remmy 700's (or clones) to be had. Plenty of Howa's about and they are good, but I really would like to go with a round action.

I do have a Model 7 stainless action. I would have it trued and it already has a pretty good 40x trigger in it (although these are a bit tempermental I have found).

The model 7 is going to seriously limit me in stock selection but I can work with that.

The big question - thoughts on whether it (the model 7) will otherwise effect performance (compared to a 700 or clone)??

Just do it. You'll love it. The stock issue sucks though

I cant really speak for using the model 7 action, however I built my 6 creed around a tikka t3x. Using a trueflite ultramatch barrel. And i got to say, what a wicked little setup it is to use.

Have fun with your build, if you have any questions regarding the 6 creedmoor ill be more than happy to help.

GWH
    I dont think the M7 will limit performance with a 6 creed at all.

Ive recently screwd a new take off 6.5CM 24" 700 barrel onto a M7 i have that was a 260 rem.

The 6.5cm even with 143 eldx fits the M7 mag way better than the same bullet in the 260 ever would.

6mm Creedmoor in the M7 will be mint i reckon. But then i already had a nice light stiff wuldcat composites stock sitting here ready for it.

Only issue will be mag length for long polls when gong shooting.
    Warm Barrels!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Only issue will be mag length for long polls when gong shooting.
    Should be fine i reckon, the likes of the 6mm 108gr eldm is a bit shorter than the 6.5mm 143gr eldx im running mag fit in my 6.5CM model 7

I have 2xM7's I agree they are a pain in that the magazine is so short that it is hard to get high BC pills to feed from the mag that can seat close to the lands for most calibres. I may eventually rebarrel my 7-08 to 6.5CM I reckon the CM case or even better as they shorter a 6x47 lapua is a great idea for that action

Given the CM both 6.5 and 6.0 are designed to work in short actions with long pills it will work great imo.
    Bill999 likes this.

And if you dont use the Model 7 action, I'd love to take it off your hands for a classic build I am hoping to put together in the next year.

Ken henderson stocks can be inleted for rem7. I own one.
    chainsaw likes this.