Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 4 Post By cameronjackwhite
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 2 Post By wayno
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By cameronjackwhite

Thread: Model 7 rechamber

Model 7 rechamber

Has anyone rechambered a model 7 non magnum into a mag caliber?

I've got a mod 7 260 in a stug and love it, however I've always been a bit gutted it cant shoot the vld 130s or heavier pills. It's one of the older slower twist models.

Just a pipe dream at the moment but I reckon a rechamber to 6.5 saum would be awesome long term. Can the boltface be opened up? Then just a rebarrel from there? Just thinking saum as model 7 came out factory chambered in 7mm saum etc.

If you want 6.5 SAUM in model7 you’d be best to buy a 7mmSAUM that’s ready for a new bbl
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

Other option would be another barrel with faster twist in 260.

Yip go the .260 I think the SAUM is better on a long action where you can seat out the heavier pills

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    ANTSMAN likes this.

I would suggest if your going to do it ,do it on a 700 short as they can have the mag lenghtend to give you extra room . A model 7 cant be extended .
    johnd and Steelisreal like this.

Huk
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Has anyone rechambered a model 7 non magnum into a mag caliber?

I've got a mod 7 260 in a stug and love it, however I've always been a bit gutted it cant shoot the vld 130s or heavier pills. It's one of the older slower twist models.

Just a pipe dream at the moment but I reckon a rechamber to 6.5 saum would be awesome long term. Can the boltface be opened up? Then just a rebarrel from there? Just thinking saum as model 7 came out factory chambered in 7mm saum etc.
    @cameronjackwhiteChanged a 243 7 into 300 saum, rebarreled with a rem barrel I bought off a member on here,had the bolt face opened and a sako type extractor fitted shoots mint.You will also need a saum mag box if going to use a mag,mine is a 2 shot 1 in the chamber and 1 on the top off the mag,178gn eldx seated at 2.905

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Other option would be another barrel with faster twist in 260.
    Perhaps keep an eye out for a take-off barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor as it will be 1/8 twist - then get it fitted and chamber for 260 Improved 30degree to clean out the chamber. Minimal expenditure for a reasonable gain - @Mathias and @Uplandstalker can shed some light on what that might be.

As others have pointed out, the 6.5 SAUM (or PRC as good brass available?) really comes alive in a medium or long action with the 147 to 156 class projectiles. You will have to seat bullets very deep in a Model 7 and might not gain much for fairly large gunsmithing/parts bill.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

Cheers for the input so far, it would appear the way to go is stick to non mag bolt face and get a faster twist barrel of some description, whether it's a take off or a bartlein etc. Will keep an eye out or if anyone has one thatll fit the bill, I'm keen to talk

What twist was it? My old model 7 was a 9 twist and it shot the 140 class projectiles awesome. Think it did the rounds of a couple of different guys on here after I had it. Was a great little no nonsense rifle that one, cut my teeth reloading for it. Shot the 139 Scenar really really well and the old 140 amax went good too. Strange though because I think some of the real early ones were 11 twist and didnt like anything over 130 class but mine was as old as they come, had the old "brick shit house" synthetic stock and all but was definately 9 twist and loved those projectiles
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    What twist was it? My old model 7 was a 9 twist and it shot the 140 class projectiles awesome. Think it did the rounds of a couple of different guys on here after I had it. Was a great little no nonsense rifle that one, cut my teeth reloading for it. Shot the 139 Scenar really really well and the old 140 amax went good too. Strange though because I think some of the real early ones were 11 twist and didnt like anything over 130 class but mine was as old as they come, had the old "brick shit house" synthetic stock and all but was definately 9 twist and loved those projectiles
    I'm pretty sure mines an 11 twist. Its definitely done the rounds on this forum, came with one of those brick shithouse stocks also. I tried the vld130s 1st and they sprayed all over the show. As did the 130 eldm. As soon as I dropped back to the 123eldm it was shooting half moa clover leafs. I just hate the thought of leaving the 260 behind the whole time and grabbing my wsm for more down range energy. The goal is to be able be able to stabilise the 140 range
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Huk
    My m7 stablilises the 140gners fine with 1in 9